Maldon 2020

Diggerg

Now thinking that it maybe possible to attend??? just taken a look on the KCBC site for judges booking form can't find anything....the Maldon site doesn't have any info at the moment either...just a notice saying 2020 info to follow soon. I'll have another search later, keep my eyes open.

Ice.

15 hours ago, Mick said:

The 4 main classes are included ribs, chicken, pork and brisket, the ancillary rounds are extra and optional, 

Can you do anything with each of those or is there a set recipe .  For instance on pork: pacific rim shoulder is one of my best but the salsa is a big part of that, all portioned do onto lettuce leaves. And spare ribs or baby ribs etc... Sorry not sure how much flexibility there is in those classes.

These are the basic rules on what a team should follow...

10) The Four KCBS Meat Categories: CHICKEN: Chicken includes Cornish Game Hen and Kosher Chicken. PORK RIBS: Ribs shall include the bone. Country style ribs are prohibited. PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at the time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook’s discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those. BEEF BRISKET: May be whole brisket, flat, or point. Corned beef is not allowed.
11) Judging typically starts at Noon on Saturday. The four (4) KCBS categories will be judged in the following order:       CHICKEN NOON PORK RIBS 12:30 pm PORK 1:00 pm BEEF BRISKET 1:30 pm Any modification of turn in times or the order the categories will be judged must be approved by the KCBS office. The modified times or change in category order must be published in the cooks packet well in advance of the contest and be confirmed at the cooks meeting. An entry will be judged only at the time established by the contest organizer. The allowable turn-in time will be five (5) minutes before to five (5) minutes after the posted time with no tolerance. A late turn-in will not be accepted by a Rep and will receive a 0 (zero) in all criteria.
12) Garnish is optional. If used it is limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, curly green kale and/or cilantro. PROHIBITED GARNISHES ARE lettuce cores, kale stems and other vegetation, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO endive, red tipped lettuce. "PROHIBITED" garnish shall receive a penalty score of one (1) on Appearance. 13) Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No side sauce
containers will be permitted in the turn-in container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, approximately 1/8 inch cubed. Sauce violations shall receive a penalty score of one (1) on Appearance.
14) Entries will be submitted in an approved KCBS numbered container, provided by the contest organizer. The number must be on top of the container at turn-in.
15) The container shall not be marked in any way so as to make the container unique or identifiable. Aluminum foil, toothpicks, skewers, foreign material, and/or stuffing are prohibited in the container. Marked entries or containers with the above listed material will receive a one (1) in all criteria from all Judges and disqualified.
16) Each contestant must submit at least six (6) portions of meat in an approved container. Chicken, pork and brisket may be submitted chopped, pulled, sliced, or diced as the cook sees fit, as long as there is enough for six (6) judges. Ribs shall be turned in bone-in. Judges may not cut, slice, or shake apart to separate pieces. If there is not enough meat for each judge to sample, the shorted judge(s) will score a one (1) on all criteria, and the judges having samples will change the Appearance score to one (1) as a penalty.
17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply: a. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat. b. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks, cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is required. c. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn. d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of water). Each contestant will provide a separate container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils. e. First aid is not required to be provided by the contest, except at the election of the contest organizer. f. Prior to cooking, meat must be maintained at 40° F or less. g. After cooking, all meat: Must be held at 140° F or above OR Cooked meat shall be cooled as follows: Within 2 hours from 140° F to 70° F and within 4 hours from 70° F to 41° F or less h. Meat that is cooked, properly cooled, and later reheated for hot holding and serving shall be reheated so that all parts of the food reach a temperature of at least 165° F for a minimum of 15 seconds.

This is just a small part of the regs....but it'll give you a start on what you have to work on.

Ice.

Perfect,I have a couple of ideas, cherry smoked spareribs with cranberry ginger sauce. It is delicious. On the wsm It is smoked with cherry for a nice dark colour and pecan wood  for a nutty flavour. I was going to do it at the northern tailgate but there was to much food.

We should definitely practice some of these items together before the event.

Mick if I do make it down for your first brew maybe we can talk about it then too? I would be great to have you on board to Ice.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Perfect,I have a couple of ideas, cherry smoked spareribs with cranberry ginger sauce. It is delicious. On the wsm It is smoked with cherry for a nice dark colour and pecan wood  for a nutty flavour. I was going to do it at the northern tailgate but there was to much food.

We should definitely practice some of these items together before the event.

Mick if I do make it down for your first brew maybe we can talk about it then too? I would be great to have you on board to Ice.

Unfortunately you can't stray from the comp style BBQ sauce line and not too much is preferred

• Like 2

"Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, approximately 1/8 inch cubed. Sauce violations shall receive a penalty score of one"

This sauce is a glaze for flavour. Not added after for dipping etc.  

Edited by Justin

10 minutes ago, Justin said:

"Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in container. Chunky sauce will be allowed. Chunks are to be no larger than a fine dice, approximately 1/8 inch cubed. Sauce violations shall receive a penalty score of one"

This sauce is a glaze for flavour. Not added after for dipping etc.  

Yeah Mick is a judge so knows