Maldon 2020

Diggerg

I think this needs some clarification, and @Wade and @Mick are some of the best people to talk to.

You can not go, with the idea of, oh I’ve got this sauce for my ribs and it is fantastic. Yes it may be fantastic, but in the world of Competition BBQ you would not get far. There is a standard taste etc, deviation and you wasting your time and money!

When I did my Judges course at Smoke On The Waters, the evening before the competition and judges course, I spoke to a team, and the startling admission they made was, they do not like the taste of the BBQ dishes they make and submit, it’s too sweet etc, so all the practicing on expensive cuts like Brisket goes in the bin. @James Wales will back me up on this as we where gobsmacked!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Sure,   So what  is a competition sauce? What is a glaze etc.....otherwise is it just smoked meat?

What is not against the rules and what will get good scores are quite different, too much sauce is not a good idea but accepted, tough as boot brisket is perfectly legal but don't expect good points, you could try a ginger glaze and it would be legal but the judges job is to judge against the kcbs standard, tenderness and appearance also are judged

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

I think this needs some clarification, and @Wade and @Mick are some of the best people to talk to.

You can not go, with the idea of, oh I’ve got this sauce for my ribs and it is fantastic. Yes it may be fantastic, but in the world of Competition BBQ you would not get far. There is a standard taste etc, deviation and you wasting your time and money!

When I did my Judges course at Smoke On The Waters, the evening before the competition and judges course, I spoke to a team, and the startling admission they made was, they do not like the taste of the BBQ dishes they make and submit, it’s too sweet etc, so all the practicing on expensive cuts like Brisket goes in the bin. @James Wales will back me up on this as we where gobsmacked!

Spot on, teams are cooking for the judges who are in turn judging against the kcbs standard

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mick said:

What is not against the rules and what will get good scores are quite different, too much sauce is not a good idea but accepted, tough as boot brisket is perfectly legal but don't expect good points, you could try a ginger glaze and it would be legal but the judges job is to judge against the kcbs standard, tenderness and appearance also are judged

I think maybe we are confusing sauce with glaze but whatever.  At the moment the team is one person. Fat chance of that working

20191104_140539.thumb.jpg.5315a51aa75e508bd7ec8a7328e0696f.jpg

Justin digger posted this and initiated it 

I’ve expressed interest. However we are both busy working today and haven’t had time to respond . You are putting the cart before the horse . And not listening to qualified judges on here ! And keep posting stuff that is not helpful and is overwhelming to answer in one day . Digger is lead on this so wait for him to have had a chance to respond 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I think maybe we are confusing sauce with glaze but whatever.  At the moment the team is one person. Fat chance of that working

20191104_140539.thumb.jpg.5315a51aa75e508bd7ec8a7328e0696f.jpg

Look good, if we get another 4 I would be interested in joining a team and foregoing judging, my advice would be to choose a round each and try to perfect that at home and not interfere with, just help each other with their round.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mick said:

Look good, if we get another 4 I would be interested in joining a team and foregoing judging, my advice would be to choose a round each and try to perfect that at home and not interfere with, just help each other with their round.

Good advice Mick, I think that is what most teams do. 

• Like 3

It might also be a good idea to put the judging advice on a different thread as it could get this thread a bit clogged up. Otherwise people might take ages to get through the thread before putting down whether they are up for taking part or not. 

• Like 1

You are right Simon, Diggerz posted first about going to the event, not competing or judging or anything but between us all we have gone on loop of teams and judges interpretations. I will set up a message conversation instead so Steve can tidy up this thread.

@Smokin Monkey

Edited by Justin

I believe just keep an entry here asking if people want to to find out more about joining a woodsmoke forum competition teams  for bbq judged events and when people say yes interested or want to find out more we can post there  and invite them to this message board.  I think we try and keep the message board on arrangements equipment team news etc. I think also we set up separate message board for any one team to sort our dishes allocation arrangements etc...we can put up photos and news  reviews etc on the this itself maybe eventually with its own subject like we do for tailgates. If we achieve this that is.

No point putting up team arrangements here as it will just be pages of arrangements.

Edited by Justin

Team one so far is Mick, Raptor, Justin and Diggerg with room for one more person.  If we get more then  team 2. First event is Maldon August 2020 so plenty of time to arrange , fill out equipment and practice dishes.

Of course if we discover a early than August smaller event then maybe try that first?

• Like 2