SMOKEVEMBER

Smokin Monkey

image.thumb.jpeg.c867b20c0f4895fe367424cc0068ab82.jpeg

Cold Smoking Season Is Almost With Us

We are dedicating November to Cold Smoking

WoodSmoke Forum would like to introduce
SMOKEVEMBER 
We will be looking at Equipment, Smoking Methods and Smoking Produce.
The forum will be open for Members to comment and post their Smokes.
We will also have discount codes from suppliers for some great deals.

http://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/225-smokevember/

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Yes same here. It is not posted on forum yet from what I was searching for yesterday. Picture in post does not show anything either.  Once it is fixed can we delete these posts please and it can be on target?

Edited by Justin

Link still dead so here is cure for smoked salmon I have put onto cure for 48 hours.  I would normally do 24hrs but am traveling today back Tuesday.

I used 50 g salt and 50g demerera sugar for each 850g fillet. I blitzed salt and sugar in coffee grinder t0 powder and used flour shaker to distribute.

Slamon is Russell slamon side from Ocado which is half price 10 quid at the moment. 

I slant the fillets in oven tray using cooling grid.  Cover with cling film and cure in fridge.

20191117_084757.thumb.jpg.d4f0cf86de80bd7da53ec977be566ad3.jpg

Back for Switzerland and it has been three and half days as I got stuck there an extra day.  Salmon has cured out lovely. It look a little wet because I used in three changes of water to take the salt flavour lower.  

I have put it back in the fridge to dry off

20191120_092743.thumb.jpg.875ce42b3fdbdcc51e479c19e30a40e2.jpg

20191120_092750.thumb.jpg.7be89c503ec580414b58067f1f45d103.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G351BMF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is 150 w. Depends how big a vessel you are using.  Mine is WSM small on so this heat sit up real quick.   In fairness I think a 60W one would do, Does not matter so much but i smoke salmon at night in the winter and it can be single figures and I need 20c, this works well doing that.

In the larder fermenter fridges I have I use a 20W tube heater.  I can then dial in what the temp i want on the inkbird, for instance i have cider stored in one at 7c and beer bottles in the other at 15c

Edited by Justin

i got one of the whole salmon deals from morrisons @ £5.00 per kilo, it comes filleted wth all the trimmings, great deal i did a   50/50 for 18 hrs & then smoked with hickory and oak for24 hrs. I wasnt happy with the weight loss so gave it another 12 hrs and this seemed to do the trick. I just need to crack my slicing technique now. Taste is spot on, over 1/2 0f the 1st fillet gone 2nd one is going in the freezer for christmas. happy days

Use a salmon knife mate, slice a little bit from across the top at the thick end and carry on from there, as you go down you will eventually taking slices down to the skin and get to the thin end

https://www.google.com/search?q=salmon+knife&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNL789NL789&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjW_NCG6qrmAhVQzqQKHeCSDhsQ_AUoAnoECA4QBA&biw=3072&bih=1132

Edited by Justin