Soaking Wood Chunks Or Wood Chips

sotv

I have always soaked any wood I am using before adding to the smoker, purely as that is what I read you should do when I first began smoking and have continued to do so for quite a few years now.

Started to notice quite a few articles now, stating it is best not to soak the wood first, as 1) It just cools the coal 2) You get steam not smoke for the first 15 minutes or so 3) Wood only absorbs 6% of the water comparative to its size and weight.

Anybody else switched to dry wood or just use it in general and see's a benefit over soaked wood?

• Like 2

I stopped soaking chips a little while ago for the same reason. Amazing ribs website does an interesting article on it, highlighting how little water they actually absord. There was a reason ships were built from wood. 

I find making a tin foil packet with a few holes poked into it, works well for a slower burn. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markie_q said:

I stopped soaking chips a little while ago for the same reason. Amazing ribs website does an interesting article on it, highlighting how little water they actually absord. There was a reason ships were built from wood. 

I find making a tin foil packet with a few holes poked into it, works well for a slower burn. 

That's the original article I read, that led me on to others saying the same thing practically. Think I will try out that method for a few cooks in the future as well , to see how it goes, compared to soaking

If I use chips, I don't soak them anymore. I used to, based off advice I read somewhere, but then saw advice to the contrary that made sense e.g. they don't absorb much water anyway, temperature can be affected etc. It seems to make sense to me to buy wood chunks if I want something that burns slower than dry chips. :) 

• Like 1

When I use chunks I don’t soak them. When I use chips I put them in a little tray I brought from Weber (basically the same as wrapping in foil and pierce a few times). Never had a problem with doing it this way. I soaked my chips once a while ago and didn’t think they were as good as when using them dry. 

• Like 1

Whenever I use chunks or chips I prefer to soak the Chef in beer or Whisky 😀

I've never soaked chunks as they are too dense to absorb water. I have soaked chips before foiling but I also throw on a handful dry to the coals. I figure they'll catch straightaway and the ones foil will dry off before catching to prolong the smoke time.  I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it. If it's been working for you then why change. 

• Haha 1