Smoke Bacon started

Icefever

I already had smoking this batch of bacon for this morning, but following on from the phone call from Smokewood Shack I've just started off with birch dust straight from the bag,  no microwave this time.
Just sit back now and watch what happens........m0113.gif

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 3

i have done orange, maple and cherry so far, settled on orange for the smokiness i like, each to their own taste, i will try the birch too. You been making anymore cheese mate?  Wouldn't mind a taste at the national

The bacon has been drying in the fridge now for a couple of days.  Sliced the plain and vac-packed...

IMG_20190704_080330933.thumb.jpg.24999c53e95d6a9204f7f17f8766c262.jpg

Ditto with the smoked but we did have bacon butties this morning... I only did this smoked one for 9 hrs as opposed to 11hrs on the last one,  must admit it did taste better, not so heavy on the smoke.

IMG_20190704_080415561.thumb.jpg.fe9befa3d28d8ada63b88d377e651a33.jpg

Ice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

Lovely looking bacon Ice. 

You started with some nice pork by the looks of it.

Phil.

When we started curing our own bacon last year we did start off using belly,  but streaky bacon is not our thing when it comes to a buttie. Now we buy the pork loin from Bookers at around £18/£20, as you can see from the photos that's a lot of bacon, and it makes for a great buttie with Brown sauce. t1936.gif

Ice.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Icefever said:

When we started curing our own bacon last year we did start off using belly,  but streaky bacon is not our thing when it comes to a buttie. Now we buy the pork loin from Bookers at around £18/£20, as you can see from the photos that's a lot of bacon, and it makes for a great buttie with Brown sauce. t1936.gif

I have kept most of my pieces to just around the 1kg mark so far. Although we did make some for family and friends the other Christmas and that was a couple of 2kg pieces. 

But now i have a vacuum sealer, will be happy to do some bigger lumps and freeze once sliced. Feeling hungry now. 😋

Phil.

15 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

freeze once sliced.

That reads like you will slice & freeze?? we use to do this but after reading a post from @Wade we now cut into small slabs enough for 8 slice's in a block then freeze, thaw when we need it...then slice.

Ice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Icefever said:

That reads like you will slice & freeze?? we use to do this but after reading a post from @Wade we now cut into small slabs enough for 8 slice's in a block then freeze, thaw when we need it...then slice.

Yes, that (was) the plan. Can i ask why take the block approach?

Phil.

Choices. I usually put in freezer for 30  mins to firm it up a bit then I hand slice it with a salmon knife,  vac and freeze, never had a problem with that, same with Smoked Salmon. You use a electric slicer Ice? 

Edited by Justin

1 minute ago, Icefever said:

@Wade has found that it keeps better and I think longer in a block.

Ice.

Ah, OK. I think i would have to weigh that up against having to get the slicer out and cleanup for 8 slices each time. It would also mean only me doing it. The family would not go to the trouble. Lastly, passing on to family and friends is more difficult. Hmm. Maybe a hybrid of slice and freeze some and leave some as block for longer term. 

I am sure Wade will tell us his findings to help me decide. 

Phil.

There are few official guidelines in Europe about how long bacon will last, however there are guidelines by the US FDA.

Shelf life information

Type of food

Cure/preserving methods

Expected shelf life

Immersion cured bacon

Salt
Nitrite
Smoke (opt)

14 days at 4 C (unsliced)

1 week when sliced

Dry cure bacon

Dehydration
Salt
Nitrite
Smoke (opt)

60 days at 4 C (unsliced)

1 week when sliced

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow! That's a huge difference on the dry cure shelf life!

Even if you halved it for extra safety, 30 days in the fridge would be very useful. 

You could just keep a block and slice off what you need as you need it. Might even be worth suffering hand sliced for that 😀

Thanks Wade, Phil.

The additional shelf life is mainly down to the lower water content in the Dry Cure bacon. When you use an immersion cure the meat will actually take on an additional 10-12% water which is not lost during the smoking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Even if you halved it for extra safety, 30 days in the fridge would be very useful. 

That is well worth knowing,  we have a block of smoked in the fridge at the moment great to know it's safe.

Ice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Icefever said:

That is well worth knowing,  we have a block of smoked in the fridge at the moment great to know it's safe.

I'm not sure how safe it is. You should send some to me just to be sure. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2