Most tolerant joint?

martin_b

Guys Im going to try a low and slow joint.  However i'm pretty sure i'll screw it up somehow either through incompetence on my part,  or being called away from home, therefore lets assume the temperature of the smoke fluctuates during the cooking process.    I have a meat thermometer so I can check the final temp but is there one particular meat/joint that could suffer mistreatment? 

What Id anticipate the most likely scenario is we start at 120.. I get called out, temp goes up to say 150..  coals run out, so temp drops to 80 i get back and finish off the meat back at 120 till it hits its done temp.

cheers

Martin

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I will find Goat shoulder to be a very tolerant piece of on Saturday/Sunday, cooking it for the first time and if it is cooked to internal temp of 195F and can take 9-12 hours to cook, so I am hoping it will be 😁

• Like 1

So all done and dusted..  I'll give my first attempt a 7/10. maybe a 7.5/10.  as its not too dry but perhaps could have been a bit jucier..

Things I've learnt for next time..

Buy a injector (see above)

A 4kg joint takes at least 10 hours,

Use more charcoal when you start,  In a callow used about 3/4 of a bag of heat beads but had to topup after about 7 hours..(because of below?)

Temp control on a windy day is really hard i was aiming for 120c but had spikes up to 140c

the stall is real!  suck at 70c for over 2 hours.

• Like 3

Great that you have taken your first steps.

Did you wrap the joint at any point during the Cooking process?

10 Hours seems a good time.

Do not get too hung up about temperature spikes, we all say 120’C constant, but have you ever logged the temperature on your domestic oven? You will be surprised.

Suck up the stall, there is nothing you can do about it.

19 minutes ago, martin_b said:

So all done and dusted..  I'll give my first attempt a 7/10. maybe a 7.5/10.  as its not too dry but perhaps could have been a bit jucier..

Things I've learnt for next time..

Buy a injector (see above)

A 4kg joint takes at least 10 hours,

Use more charcoal when you start,  In a callow used about 3/4 of a bag of heat beads but had to topup after about 7 hours..(because of below?)

Temp control on a windy day is really hard i was aiming for 120c but had spikes up to 140c

the stall is real!  suck at 70c for over 2 hours.

Doing the same as you through the night tonight, for tomorrow 4.5kg shoulder joint with some homemade chipotle coleslaw

I have an injector that I have never used, so going to try injecting for the first time tonight following this recipe (using my own rub)  like you in the lap of the gods with temp but hoping to maintain 225F (smartfire controlled) so estimating around 12 hours. But will wrap and put in a cooler box if done to early

Hoping it will be big enough to feed 15 people (if not I will buy smaller buns tomorrow) 😀