Drinks

Simon

Here’s a fun question for everyone. What drinks do you like with what meals?

I might have an ale while cooking and then have a wine with the beer. The wife and I usually go for Italian wine, red for red meats, whites for poultry, but we also joined a wine club that is based in Scotland that is reasonably priced, so will be getting various fruit wines in the next few days. 

On a lovely summer day I do like a nice cider. 

On the ale front I do like to try as many breweries as I can. I used to work in pubs so I got used to organising the callers and tasting the beers. I love Jaipur from Thornbridge and Exmor Gold. 

I supply to Thornbridge when they do Festivals.

As for drinks, never been a big Beer Drinker, used to drink Pils when I was younger.

I will have a bottle of Lager wen I am cooking, G&T pre-drinks, and white wine with meals (or any other time!)

Can not do Red Wine, had some once (a bottle) and was ill for a week!

• Like 1

Where I used to live in west London there was a wine/beer shop that had a fantastic selection. I did love when you found one that just hits right. I used to have a list of beers and how I rated them but that has disappeared into the matrix sadly. 

I’m a real ale fan from years past . Home brewed and otherwise . But I’m also heavily into wine James Martin oz Clarke has some sensational wines 

If you want a good bbq wine try rib shack it’s in Iceland. And is perfect for smoking meats White wine Sauvignon Blanc makaraka aldi or topend oyster bay is good.

• Like 1

Real ale man myself, most of the time. I make cider with a friend of mine which is of unknown strength....🤔

We have several cider makers in the village as well as a micro brewery.... chances of being sober round here are zero.

I've been known to kill a few bottles of red and port on a Cote de boeuf bbq session...🍷

• Like 1

My son's mate made some cider a couple of years back, he made a press from some oak my son had milled, we put the apples through my garden shredder and used a bottle jack to press the juice. He only had one of those blue plastic "industrial" barrels to ferment it in and to be honest, it wasn't the best scrumpy I had tasted, might have been the apple varieties we used ?

I wouldn't mind another go at it, especially if I could get a smaller barrel to ferment it in as there was quite a bit of airspace in the one he used.

2 hours ago, jockaneezer said:

He only had one of those blue plastic "industrial" barrels to ferment it in and to be honest, it wasn't the best scrumpy I had tasted, might have been the apple varieties we used ?

I wouldn't mind another go at it, especially if I could get a smaller barrel to ferment it in as there was quite a bit of airspace in the one he used.

Our barrel is 45 gallon grey plastic, we stick a bubbler in the top a d leave it for at least 12 months before we bottle it, an air gap will kill it.

We mash up the apples with an old converted diesel cement mixer, press the apples on the back of a David Brown tray for of unknown age, the press is an old hydraulic ram from a JCB that cost a tenner and we feed the pulp to the local pigs.... it's like Steptoes yard when we make it and of course drinking last years cider when we do....🍺😳🍺😳

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, Justin said:

I might have to start home brew again. Been years since i did.

How did you brew at home? I have a friend who’s interested but not sure how to start and what to use to brew it in. 

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

How did you brew at home? I have a friend who’s interested but not sure how to start and what to use to brew it in. 

I’m thinking of the same thing. We are looking to move and whilst sorting things out I found my boiler, mash tun and pressure barrels.