Whole Smoked Duck

sotv

Smoked my first whole duck today, following this recipe from youtube. The only difference was I used Maple Syprup instead of molasses for the glaze.

It worked really well and the finished flavour was outstanding, hints of orange citrus and the fat rendered really well, leaving a crispy skin. I wanted to use cherry for the smoke, but unfortunately have ran out, so used a mixture of apple and pear.

It was a fresh 2kg duck from Asda, followed the drying out instructions on the video first overnight and  cooked it in on my Proq this afternoon and used the plancha plate as a heat deflector instead of water bowl and placed a drip tray on it.. It gave me a constant temperature of 325F throughout the cook and the duck was cooked to an internal temp of 170F after just under 3hrs and 30mins. I overcooked it slightly as my wife doesn't like pink duck or blood coming from it, when cutting into it.. So easier to slightly overcook it, in our household. But 165F should leave it slightly more juicier. Served it with pan fried beansprouts, spring onions and some sweet pointed red peppers, I roasted earlier and a glug of soya salt. Definitely cooking this again, it really is a good recipe and tastes amazing. Couple of photos

IMG_20190227_164721452.jpg

IMG_20190227_171503122.jpg

IMG_20190227_172425242.jpg

Edited by sotv
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

That looks amazing ! I’m going to have a go on the pit barrel with one 

Well worth ago, amazing amount of fat is released during cooking though, be warned. Drip tray catcher definitely needed. Got my whole duck (2kg) from Asda, selling them for £7 at the moment

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I watch those videos. I love the videos and really well explained prep and cooking. The only issue is that they aren’t the most healthy of meals so they can’t be a daily thing 😂

I know, hopefully the beansprouts and peppers made it just a little more healthy 😀

Not sure hooks will hold the duck once it is fully cooked, as mine would have teared once fully cooked and I had to lift it gingerly from the grill rack, once cooked. Does your UDs have 2 grill racks. May work better to cook the duck on the top one and have a drip tray bigger than the duck underneath for the fat, if it does. 

Edited by sotv

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

and put some potatoes in the drip tray and chuck a cabbage in there too to roast in the duck fat. Lovely grub

That is a good idea, one thing I noted from the cook yesterday the fat in the drip tray was abundant, and a clear liquid for the first 60-90 minutes but when I checked after over 3 hours it had turned black and dried up due to the higher cooking temperature. Maybe better to remove the fat after 30-60 minutes and then re-introduce it 75-90 minutes, with the potatoes before you are ready to eat. Then hopefully it won't have all dried out?

19 hours ago, sotv said:

Not sure hooks will hold the duck once it is fully cooked, as mine would have teared once fully cooked and I had to lift it gingerly from the grill rack, once cooked. Does your UDs have 2 grill racks. May work better to cook the duck on the top one and have a drip tray bigger than the duck underneath for the fat, if it does. 

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/tea-smoked-duck/

id probably blow torch skin to crisp up at end 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sotv said:

Will be next week. Tonight Matthew I’m going to be .... cooking steaks on my chimney starter and grill 

using the middle gbs grate thing from my weber kettle 

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2019 at 4:21 PM, Justin said:

and put some potatoes in the drip tray and chuck a cabbage in there too to roast in the duck fat. Lovely grub

I sometimes stuff my duck / Goose with cooked cooled mash potato and then fry it off the next morning for breakfast.