Simont12

3 hours ago, Simont12 said:

Looked Around loads of different ones really as I am just starting the callow seemed a good bet as it's cheap and cheerful 

Aye but only my opinion if you can afford to go to something better . Then it makes it a less painful learning curve . And will set you up for a long time . There might be some used weber smoky mountains about too 

I agree buy the best you can will save a lot of pain later. The pro q is a nice bit of kit or build your own uds if you want a project. Spending money on a callow and spending more money to fix it seems counter intuitive. It is not a kit build purchase. Good luck

• Like 1

Hi! Welcome to the forum! 

Im new around here too and actually started with the same question as you did! And here’s what I got from everyone here summarised!

What I I would suggest Is read through all of @Wade‘s reviews for the cool4all/callow original smoker so you’ve got an idea of what you’re going for! 

with your £200 definitely go for the callow cook4all, buy it from their website “garden gift shop” that way you’ll get the most up to date version and there is a 10% voucher code “smoke10” (this was due to Wade’s work in making the smoker better)!

and then grab yourself a good quality probe thermometer going for at least 2 probes! Inkbird is a good place to look! 

If if you’re just starting out and aren’t sure if smoking is for you then spending less on gear is better! You can always upgrade in the future! 

Ive done 2 cooks on my callow and have fallen in love with it! I know I will upgrade eventually as i’ll Want a larger cooking area but for now, I’m just experimenting with things and seeing how it works! 

7168F400-2E2A-4961-B317-42E37D94F780.thumb.jpeg.d3c883369b3b52784606daf6901206dd.jpeg

• Like 1

Cheers guys I will keep looking also been tooling at the pit barrel is that worth anything?

29 minutes ago, James Hocking said:

Hi! Welcome to the forum! 

Im new around here too and actually started with the same question as you did! And here’s what I got from everyone here summarised!

What I I would suggest Is read through all of @Wade‘s reviews for the cool4all/callow original smoker so you’ve got an idea of what you’re going for! 

with your £200 definitely go for the callow cook4all, buy it from their website “garden gift shop” that way you’ll get the most up to date version and there is a 10% voucher code “smoke10” (this was due to Wade’s work in making the smoker better)!

and then grab yourself a good quality probe thermometer going for at least 2 probes! Inkbird is a good place to look! 

If if you’re just starting out and aren’t sure if smoking is for you then spending less on gear is better! You can always upgrade in the future! 

Ive done 2 cooks on my callow and have fallen in love with it! I know I will upgrade eventually as i’ll Want a larger cooking area but for now, I’m just experimenting with things and seeing how it works! 

7168F400-2E2A-4961-B317-42E37D94F780.thumb.jpeg.d3c883369b3b52784606daf6901206dd.jpeg

And thanks James good to hear someone in the same place lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simont12 said:

Cheers guys I will keep looking also been tooling at the pit barrel is that worth anything?

And thanks James good to hear someone in the same place lol 

Ive built a uds and now own a pit barrel ! I don’t use my UDS. The pit barrel is great for smaller families and ribs chicken brisket and you can hang meat or use the grill grate for conventional cooking . 

It Is faster cooks but with the right fuel it can low and slow 

71049F05-9397-480E-9834-EAE5AF92904B.jpeg

BD325AD9-4379-482D-B4DA-50F1C8A2014B.jpeg

04B0A1AC-8787-419A-B1CF-296B1F34ED59.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. The Cook4All is a great entry level smoker and it will work well for both hot and cold smoking. Its main limitation is its size, however it is more than big enough to meet most family BBQ demands. I use them as one of the demonstration smokers on my BBQ courses.

Buy it directly from Garden Gift Shop and you know you will get the latest version - as they are the company who have them manufactured. Their customer service is also excellent and if you have any problems they will do their best to sort them out for you. I have no commercial interest with the Garden Gift Shop company or the Cook4All BBQ itself, however I saw that it was filling a massive gap in the home market and have worked closely with them on their design to ensure that it works well for all types of smoking.

If you do decide to buy one and you have any questions on using it then please do not hesitate to ask, either in the forum or directly to me by pm. :thumb1:

Wade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. The Cook4All is a great entry level smoker and it will work well for both hot and cold smoking. Its main limitation is its size, however it is more than big enough to meet most family BBQ demands. I use them as one of the demonstration smokers on my BBQ courses.

Buy it directly from Garden Gift Shop and you know you will get the latest version - as they are the company who have them manufactured. Their customer service is also excellent and if you have any problems they will do their best to sort them out for you. I have no commercial interest with the Garden Gift Shop company or the Cook4All BBQ itself, however I saw that it was filling a massive gap in the home market and have worked closely with them on their design to ensure that it works well for all types of smoking.

If you do decide to buy one and you have any questions on using it then please do not hesitate to ask, either in the forum or directly to me by pm. :thumb1:

Wade

Thanks Wade I think I am going to get it as it's my first try at smoking will let you know how I get on when I actually get it and try it 

19 minutes ago, Simont12 said:

Thanks Wade I think I am going to get it as it's my first try at smoking will let you know how I get on when I actually get it and try it 

Read the instructions that come with it regarding the different charcoal setups for different types of BBQ/Smoking as it took me ages to write them 😁. If you find any mistakes don't blame me as others were supposed to have proof read them before they were printed - LOL

• 1 month later...