Smoking in Somerset

Teri

Hello all, I'm in Somerset and nuts about everything smoky, after tasting amazing smoked haddock on the isle of Mull five years ago I decided I had to build myself a cold smoker and started smoking as my son put it "anything that doesn't move fast enough". I also have four BBQ's and a rotisserie firepit, but my partner thought that wasn't enough so he bought me a hot smoker for my birthday 😊 1190381329_2019-02-1710_19_49.thumb.jpg.f41b841a56cacd41ae1312bb779e212a.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Teri said:

Hello all, I'm in Somerset and nuts about everything smoky, after tasting amazing smoked haddock on the isle of Mull five years ago I decided I had to build myself a cold smoker and started smoking as my son put it "anything that doesn't move fast enough". I also have four BBQ's and a rotisserie firepit, but my partner thought that wasn't enough so he bought me a hot smoker for my birthday 😊 1190381329_2019-02-1710_19_49.thumb.jpg.f41b841a56cacd41ae1312bb779e212a.jpg

Ooh I’d love to see the plans for this 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 4:59 PM, Raptor72 said:

Ooh I’d love to see the plans for this 

The plans were pretty simple.

100 cm high at the back to allow four racks, 105 cm at the front where there is an adjustable vent at the top of the door and two rows of holes along the bottom to allow air in. The other dimensions were dictated by the size of the racks, I actually used two 40 cm X 26 cm wire racks on each level so that I can easily add or remove fish fillets throughout the day. Using a Pro Q smoke generator I have smoked up to 15 kg of fish  in a day. Castors and rope handles make it easy to move and as I had some perspex kicking about thought it would be fun to be able to watch the food colour up. It's quite nice sitting on the patio with a bottle of wine watching something yummy turning golden. 

2019-02-22 09.26.22.jpg

Edited by Teri
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

I’ve got a cheap gas bbq cover over mine 

Added some of that fabriseal weather protector to the cover 

but then mine is smaller squat ! 
Oh and Holy ! 

I am figuring out  a cheap  way to use the proq eco smoker when the weather is a bit showery.  The existing method i use is the small wsm wrapped in bubble wrap and with a ceramic bulb heater connected to pid controller (inkbird and the like) to maintain the temp at 20c when smoking salmon.  going to do some more soonish.  Will post

I might just stick some brackets to the inside and rest some shelves on those, Some heavy duty Velcro will work fine i think. Will go down local screwfix soon ish. Drill a whole in for the power cable to bulb and a probe hole for smoking salmon in cold weather, brackets ,just need to find some shelving, do not need to be metal, wood is fine.  Could hang salmon in there too easy enough. Options galore. Shelves

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marko-Outdoor-Barbecue-Replacement-Garden/dp/B07DVH989W/ref=pd_sbs_79_19?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07DVH989W&pd_rd_r=8a7a2b59-3e70-4358-be98-a08f97590101&pd_rd_w=a3CV2&pd_rd_wg=9zhAI&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=REAPZ1TKNJ5HKNSWFZ6X&psc=1&refRID=REAPZ1TKNJ5HKNSWFZ6X

6 hours ago, Justin said:

How does it cope with the weather please, do you store under shelter when it is not used or keep it outside all the time?  I have cardboard one that  I keep in the garage and only use in dry weather.

6 hours ago, Justin said:

How does it cope with the weather please, do you store under shelter when it is not used or keep it outside all the time?  I have cardboard one that  I keep in the garage and only use in dry weather.

It's oiled so can stand up to a bit of rain whilst smoking, but it's on castors so just wheel it into the shed when not in use.