New Member, South East

Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hello. Only recently discovered this forum off the back of some research. 

I like to cook low n slow on my 47cm weber, it's a bit small but works until I get round to building a UDS. Also cook classic 'burn it before it rains' summer BBQs and can't get over how good and simple a 'dirty steak' is!

• Like 1

Hi Bucksend and welcome to the forum. Where in the South East are you from?

The Weber is a great way to start and it is good to see that you are looking to build a UDS. A number of members here have experience building them so you should get lots of good advice.

Cheers, Wade

• Like 1

Welcome aboard ! My advice on building a uds is don’t over think it . And get your grill grate holes at sensible increments . Leave enough distance between the top grate level and lid . To allow to sit a pork butt or brisket and not let the lid hit either ! 

And the bottom intake holes see a diagram that Ryan sent me . 

22EE3BD4-77FF-42DC-A883-9CF503F22377.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bucksend said:

Sorry, for the vertical inlets 😊

They were 2 x 22mm brass  compression to male 3/4 elbows and brass back nuts inside to tighten up . 

It was a labour of love as if  ever made anything in the past . But I own a pit barrel cooker and Weber gbs . So I don’t use the thing now lol . It has a decent manlaw thermometer at the front from USA . Which is so accurate it matches my inkbird readings . But with all the stainless steel fixings internal 4 tins of paint etc I’d just go for a kit and a drum . 

Or buy a pit barrel lol 

D5437E62-4EB7-43F8-B98A-6338EB9A81D8.jpeg

• Like 1

1- Usually cook for just the family(Waaaaay more than we eat) but  have parents and others over for a meal occasionally and I'd love to be able to cook up a brisket or a few rack of ribs. max 10 people is the short answer!

2- Meat.(and fish, I want to be able to try anything!)

3- Low but not too much of an issue. I like the idea of building from scratch but want to end up with a good quality dedicated smoker  

Kettle (like weber) would do it for that, and maybe a wsm to give more versatility.  They will would  give you a cold smoke option too. I can hot and cold smoke on both of those and I have  a cardboard pro q eco smoker too for cold smoking cheese and things like that when it is dry.  I sometime think of some other option but i just do not need them.  I can easily have a brisket and a   pork butt smoking on the wsm and bruschetta, beans, wings , cornbread etc or smoke more meat smoking on the kettle a the same time.  And maybe smoking some salmon at the same time in the proq eco box.

Remember on UDS one smoking cook going. three smaller items like kettle and bullet smoker , more versatility if you have a crowd.

And Weber quality rock solid no build, you could always build your own cold smoker? ideas and plans on that on the forum

Yeah I looked at ProQ/smokey mountain but didn't think they were worth the extra £££ above a decent UDS. Many advantages over a UDS other than access to the fire?

I have a 47 weber kettle but it's just a bit tight for space if I want to cook any more than a single item. And I'll keep it for hot n fast