Buying meat

Simon

Morrisons is good, but I rarely get to a store. I’ve a decent butchers near me, but was checking if there was a really good online butchers because the ones I have seen are really expensive. I know sometimes you have to pay for quality but I don’t fancy remortgaging my house to get some steaks. 

Happy to recommend my local chain of butchers on here they source all their pork and chicken from Packington Free Range and for instance they sell a 4kg piece of Pork Shoulder for under £20 so just over a £1 a kg extra than supermarket pork shoulders.

There beef steaks in the shop are all cut from large pieces of meat in the shop and I really like cooking their Chine Steak on the bone. It is gorgeous on the smoker or BBQ. They have a whole range of meat including loin and belly for homemade bacon. I get them to take the bones out for me in the shop, you may have to speak to them if you were to order though to get this done. They sell great free range racks of ribs as well, but don't show this online, so speaking to them may well allow you to add them to the order as well.I find with Free Range Pork  the meat is a slightly more flavoursome but it is the quality of the Fat that makes the difference. The fat on free range is almost pure white, a lot thicker and flavoursome and just imparts such wonderful flavour into a slow cooked piece of pork.

I checked the website and they deliver nationally it says £10 delivery for under a £100 and free over that, can't get the option to work at the moment only offers me shop pick up. So may want to give a ring to find out how?.  My local one is only just over a mile away, so I don't need mine delivered. Not sure what quantities you want to order but worth ago, I promise you

Peter Coates

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick1298 said:

I find Morrison’s do an excellent range of meat. The quality isn’t bad and it’s fantastic value!

I agree, for a walk in supermarket when doing the weekly shop, I think Morrisons are the best of the lot, especially from the Butchers Counter itself. For Bigger sized pieces of meat, Bookers isn't bad either. But overall for quality meat, a good local butchers beats them all hands down for quality but not price imho. Depends what you are looking for overall at the time.

4 hours ago, sotv said:

Happy to recommend my local chain of butchers on here they source all their pork and chicken from Packington Free Range and for instance they sell a 4kg piece of Pork Shoulder for under £20 so just over a £1 a kg extra than supermarket pork shoulders.

There beef steaks in the shop are all cut from large pieces of meat in the shop and I really like cooking their Chine Steak on the bone. It is gorgeous on the smoker or BBQ. They have a whole range of meat including loin and belly for homemade bacon. I get them to take the bones out for me in the shop, you may have to speak to them if you were to order though to get this done. They sell great free range racks of ribs as well, but don't show this online, so speaking to them may well allow you to add them to the order as well.I find with Free Range Pork  the meat is a slightly more flavoursome but it is the quality of the Fat that makes the difference. The fat on free range is almost pure white, a lot thicker and flavoursome and just imparts such wonderful flavour into a slow cooked piece of pork.

I checked the website and they deliver nationally it says £10 delivery for under a £100 and free over that, can't get the option to work at the moment only offers me shop pick up. So may want to give a ring to find out how?.  My local one is only just over a mile away, so I don't need mine delivered. Not sure what quantities you want to order but worth ago, I promise you

Peter Coates

Just had a look at their website and it looks good. I was lucky to come across a butchers in Ipswich last year that had a £50 freezer filler that was a huge mixture of chicken, beef and pork. I’m always happy to try other places. 

If you want near Chelmsford Braintree is the locals abbotoir butchers : C Humphrey’s and sons

They supply most of the butchers in north Essex and people come for miles around to stock up on meat . All the Chinese and Africans from London come up 

I concur with Morrison’s I spoke to the butchers there and they said they have a deal with pig farmers . Hence why they sell old fashioned cuts off the pig . 

There fish stall is great too . Bloody expensive on normal grocery items I’ve found though ! 

39 minutes ago, Simon said:

Just had a look at their website and it looks good. I was lucky to come across a butchers in Ipswich last year that had a £50 freezer filler that was a huge mixture of chicken, beef and pork. I’m always happy to try other places. 

Which one ? 

2 hours ago, Wade said:

Brogdale has a great butcher and they now have a number of branches in other locations too.

I mostly get my meat from Bookers these days though there are a couple of local butchers that I use too.

My bookers is ok but not extensive. What do you recommend to buy ?

I know about the frozen big meaty ribs but not much else 

35 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

Which one ? 

I was looking at the Coates butchers website. Was just looking at the C Humphrey's and son you recommend. 

The butchers at Brogdale is awesome. I got all my meat for Christmas from there this year. Always worth popping there at about 1500 on the day of one of Brogdale’s fairs because they sometimes have great deals. Their sausages are great and their chickens are a fantastic offer. 

24 minutes ago, Simon said:

I was looking at the Coates butchers website. Was just looking at the C Humphrey's and son you recommend. 

The butchers at Brogdale is awesome. I got all my meat for Christmas from there this year. Always worth popping there at about 1500 on the day of one of Brogdale’s fairs because they sometimes have great deals. Their sausages are great and their chickens are a fantastic offer. 

I’m never down that way .

I’m going to Humphrey’s soon to pick up some meat next week