Cold Smoke Pellet tube

Justin

These work well when you need some heavy smoke and I have a couple I use regularly for smoking nuts. They do produce a fair amount of heat though and so need to be used with care in smaller smokers with heat sensitive foods. If you are using one in a small smoker you will probably need to use the water pan when smoking things like cheese.

• Thanks 1

In my post I said "water BATH" - what I meant was was "water PAN/TRAY". You can even put ice in it to keep the temperature even cooler. If using in the incinerator then place a tray of water on top of a couple of bricks inside with the tube underneath. Also to reduce the heat produced you can just half fill the tube - it will still produce lots of smoke.

887156214_Tubehalffull.thumb.jpg.3b00854e0192de97096fa8060db18137.jpg 57087145_Tubeonside.thumb.jpg.8a1f1ce83c8db856cd76f9f41ed061f1.jpg 1338267565_Tubeonsidealightend.thumb.jpg.05beb2a2557b741628bcfc13de1c3671.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Is the maximum amount of time you can get with these sort of tubes 4 or 5 hours, or are there ones you can get that will let you cold smoke through the night for say up to 8+ hours.

I have a ProQ maze that gives me 12-14 hours, but switching to a pellet grill and will have an abundance of pellets, so looking to switch to a pellet tube if possible. 

38 minutes ago, sotv said:

Is the maximum amount of time you can get with these sort of tubes 4 or 5 hours, or are there ones you can get that will let you cold smoke through the night for say up to 8+ hours.

I have a ProQ maze that gives me 12-14 hours, but switching to a pellet grill and will have an abundance of pellets, so looking to switch to a pellet tube if possible. 

Answering my own question, seen Amaze-N do a pellet maze that lasts up to 12 hours, struggling to find any in this country, but can get shipped from Amazon US for £35

On 3/13/2020 at 9:55 AM, sotv said:

Answering my own question, seen Amaze-N do a pellet maze that lasts up to 12 hours, struggling to find any in this country, but can get shipped from Amazon US for £35

An identical pellet maze can be bought from BBQ Gourmet for £35. I think they are even made in the same Chinese factory as the Amazen smoke generators.
https://www.bbqgourmet.co.uk/product/bbq-gourmet-200x125mm-maze-cold-smoke-generator/

I use these in my commercial cold smoker

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 10:14 PM, Wade said:

An identical pellet maze can be bought from BBQ Gourmet for £35. I think they are even made in the same Chinese factory as the Amazen smoke generators.
https://www.bbqgourmet.co.uk/product/bbq-gourmet-200x125mm-maze-cold-smoke-generator/

I use these in my commercial cold smoker

What sort of length of burn time do you get from one of these mazes when full of pellets?

24 minutes ago, Wade said:

Typically about 10 hours. It does depend somewhat on the pellets though - type of wood and moisture content

Thanks for that, not far of the ProQ dust maze then. Originally ordered the Amaze-N from Amazon US but they cancelled the order 3 weeks after accepting it, so reverting back to the BBQ Gourmet one, 

Is something like this suitable to get the pellets started?

61hVUO2FwAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They may last about the same length of time but you will get considerably more smoke from the AMNPS type pellet smoker. The choice will really depend on the size of your smoke chamber.

Absolutely. I use a MAP Gas brazing torch to light mine

GAS TORCHES & ACCES - The Office Group

• Like 1