Mozzarella

markie_q

A brand of mozarella I use (never smoked it) is Galbani (cows milk mozarella) and the 2 types I use are the Maxi version, (picked one up last week from Morrisons on offer £1.50) although in liquid it comes in one long log roll shape, which may help in smoking rather than the balls. It slices really well and may be easier to store and pack than several balls after smoking? 

The other is Galbani Cucina (only ever seen this at Waitrose) is comes as a dryish block of mozarella, like feta for wetness and with care you can grate, or just break break into small pieces as well slice it or as I do run a potato peeler down the edge of it and would also imagine it might smoke quite well, because of the shape and texture of it? Easier to store and pack again as well.

I have bought Tesco Scarmorza Mozarella (already smoked) costs more than normal Mozarella but all the hard work is done for you and, tastes great.

I would imagine just leaving a wet mozarella to drain in a colander for 60-90 minutes and patting it with some towels after, before smoking would help reduce some of the liquid before smoking it, if you bought ordinary Mozarella balls though?

Edited by sotv

We were at a friend's wedding late last year and they had a mobile wood fired pizza oven organised for the evening's festivities. As you do in these situations, I was picking the guy's brains about his techniques ( he got me onto higher hydration dough, which is what I make all the time now) and when I asked him about his mozarella, he said he uses "Fiore Di Latte" a cheese like mozarella, which uses cow's milk instead of buffalo's. This is something I fancy having a go at making some time and I bought some rennet tablets online recently.

When we have a pizza session, I usually just go to Aldi or Lidl for their salamis and prosciutto and buy a few of their individual mozarellas in brine ( the pre-grated stuff is drenched in corn starch to stop it sticking together) I was surprised at the amount of liquid that is actually inside the cheese ( maybe a superior brand wouldn't be as bad ?) If I just slice the cheese and put it on the pizza, you tend to get a soggy patch of dough below the cheese which doesn't make for a good eating experience. I now tear or slice the cheese a few hours beforehand and leave it to drain in a colander, there's a surprising amount of liquid liberated.

I'll have a look in Tesco's for the Scarmorza, it could add a new dimension to our pizzas ?

Incidently, I always tell our guests that "less is more" when it comes to pizza toppings, we may have 10 or 15 different toppings set out ( I let people build their own pizzas, I'll stretch the first one for them, but after that, they're on their own, all part of the fun I think) once you have the sauce and the cheese, 3 or 4 toppings is about right, too many and it spoils the pizza, but it doesn't stop some of our "bigger boned" friends from loading theirs up, I once saw a mate who needed both his hands to hold the weight of the peel, carry what looked like a scale model of Vesuvius out to the oven, it just ended up a big melted blob, in all fairness, he ate the lot though !

• Like 1