Fantastic first week of sous vide

Sarah Duffy

Awesome first week with Sous Vide. (And a couple of smokes) Just perfect for what we need. I’ve not touched the hob and oven other than searing meat. Slow cooker also not touched this week. Only the air fryer really for sweet potato and butternut fries! Dinner times plus multiple picks ups this week has been so relaxed! 

Cooking 6 steak dinners last night was pretty much a breeze. All came out the same just had to stagger searing.

We’ve had...

Veg: carrots, parsnips, asparagus, green beans, runner beans, cauliflower, broccoli, new potatoes (pic in pot was before I learnt how to sink the floating bags)

meat: lemon pepper chicken, bbq marinated chicken, ham joint (planned to smoke but busy with work so ended up throwing in sous vide 13 hours), steaks, salmon (various seasons)

Desert: rice pudding

trial and error as with anything but I’ve about got the veg and meat how I like it. Steak was ok, texture off but they were an emergency buy from a butcher I haven’t used before. Pretty convinced the quality of meat wasn’t too good as I can knock up steak from the usual supplier and the texture is always top notch. 

Loads more sous vide and smoking experiments planned for next week! One or two smoke and sous vide collaborations if I get caught up with work. Nom nom nom!  

A2E94769-511A-4B4C-8694-B657330B6F3B.jpeg

7315C4E8-015E-43FE-A5E2-B8DA0800F49B.jpeg

2E9BB402-B332-4D80-809D-DB378011B3B6.jpeg

1159ED20-1B42-4CD7-93EF-9355A17A1F9F.jpeg

65D8BA90-0927-411B-88B6-E498844331A7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Fantastic, no looking back now. Check out the rice pudding, nice one. What recipe did you use?

I just kinda winged it really. Never made

before so just check up for general milk/rice ratio. Used brown sugar and it went all caramelly and lovely. Could have done with longer tho and more

fluid.

Edited by Sarah Duffy

1 hour ago, Raptor72 said:

Be interested in other people’s experience with steak ala sous vide 

Judging by how everything else has turned out, I think the problem with texture was simply the quality of steak. I’ve got some rump out of the freezer from the farm. I’ll bet they’re better than the sirloins I got from the other butcher on Saturday.

After I took them out of the bath, I let them sit for about 10 mind before I seared. Got a better sear then. I like mine nice and brown on the outside. Also reduces the internal temp slightly (pop in fridge for 10) so you don’t take it over when you sear. 

Edited by Sarah Duffy

2 hours ago, Sarah Duffy said:

Judging by how everything else has turned out, I think the problem with texture was simply the quality of steak. I’ve got some rump out of the freezer from the farm. I’ll bet they’re better than the sirloins I got from the other butcher on Saturday.

After I took them out of the bath, I let them sit for about 10 mind before I seared. Got a better sear then. I like mine nice and brown on the outside. Also reduces the internal temp slightly (pop in fridge for 10) so you don’t take it over when you sear. 

Make sure you put them in ice bath for 20-30 mins before searing.  . You want it to stop cooking, that way you get a nice consistent band of what you want with charred sear on the outside. Hot hot skillet for searing. I use rib eye, always consistently top draw from my butcher.

I am cooking this later this week so will take photos and walk through.So far today I have vacced  them in one bag side by side (not on top of each other )with some butter thyme and rosemary. When they come out of ice bath, remove from bag, salt & pepper then sear, butter at the last 10 - 20 secs . Sear should take no more than 3 min each side, do it by eye, you might get away with one minute depending on pan and heat. I will use cast iron skillet this time so it will be hotter seconds. it has of course already been cook so the sear gives colour and flavour, sous vide gives texture. Perfect best steak ever.

If doing over charcoal consider putting grate over chimney starter and searing there??

Edited by Justin

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Looks like you have been bit by the “Justin Sous Vide Bug”

I do a bit of Sous Vide now and then.

I do chicken breast every day pretty much for lunch in it. It is just perfect juicy cold chicken on crackers with slice of tomato, mayonnaise and basil leaf. yummy. I prep the bags and freeze them so I can use them when I want, 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

I usually bring to room temperature then very hot skillet and butter . Then blowtorch them at end . 

ice bath mate is better, stop the cook quickly. i use Tupperware box, put cold  block in that you would put in a cooler bag and water, place bag under the cold block

Edited by Justin