Jump to content

New to the Forum


Barstonlita
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all and thank you for letting me join your forum.

I have been doing basic BBQ for a fair time and after many years of assuring everyone I wouldnt do it I finally gave in and went gas. To be honest it is very easy and is pretty similar to the old basic charcoal BBQ I had before albeit without the smoke. 

I am now looking to take it beyond an odd BBQ at the weekend to something more of a hobby and raise my game. I am looking to do some slow cooked meats as well as whatever else I can think of as I take things "to the next level" 

I started looking at smokers "Traeger" etc having seen a programme on Netflix about American BBQ. They also had a big green egg which I had seen before. So I started to investigate what is out there and am leaning towards a Kamado's although that is still up for debate. I think I am currently torn between Kamado Joe Classic 3 and the Monolith Le Chef so would welcome peoples thoughts on the best way forward and if I am on the right track with the kamados or should still be considering pellet smokers or even something else.

I appreciate its all down to personal taste and what you want from it but am interested in peoples views

 

many thanks

 

Simon

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Simon, welcome to the Forum.

A few things to consider when choosing between a Pellet Smoker and a Kamado.

1.  Cost and availability of pellets over charcoal

2. Easy of use, Pellet Smoker, set and leave over Kamado that requires some attention.

3. Amount of smoke flavour, more depth of smoke flavour with Kamado over a pellet smoker.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you

That’s really useful. 
 

I assumed there would be more smoke with the pellet smoker. I like the idea of having to pay more attention and manage the cook more manually (I might regret that statement one day). I think I am leaning even more towards the Kamado now, and I think it’s between the Komodo joe and the monolith

 

thank you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi & welcome to the forum Barstonlita, I won't bore you with a long reply about pellet smokers as you seem to have decided on a Kamado type smoker.

But to address the point of smoke from a pellet grill, yes the smoke flavour isn't as pronounced on a pellet grill as a charcoal/wood one. But what I have found is the people I have served the food I have cooked have been far more appreciative of the sligtlyl milder/not so pronounced smoke flavour from the pellet grill in most cases than what I used to produce on my old bullet smoker, and as much as your doing all the cooking yourself, you can be catering for a number people sometimes who may not be as appreciative of the stronger level of smoke you are used to some of the time.

There is no way you can get the level of smoke flavour from a pellet grill that you do from charcoal/wood type smoker, but there are a couple of ways of getting a little more into your cook. The pellet grill I have has a smokeboost feature which will cook the food at 150-200f for the initial start of the cook, for however long you want. It works by getting the pellets to smoulder rather than burn and that produces a stronger smoke flavour to the food from the start (as no meat really takes on smoke flavour anyway once the bark has formed usually up to 3-4 hours into cook or thereabouts).

Also you can buy one of those pellet tubes and fill it with pellets and place it on the grill whilst it is cooking, that will give you an extra 3-4 hours of more smoke around the meat from the start if you don't have a grill with a Smokeboost or similar type of function. 

As with everything it comes down to personal choice, I love my pellet grill and wouldn't change it for anything else on the market at the moment, love the simplicity of it, the level of smoke suits my household much more than the charcoal ever has and the different styles of food and the ability to cook between 225-600F at the turn of a dial is a godsend.  That being said if the Komodo Joe is in your budget, then you are getting a rock solid piece of kit that would be the envy of most backyard BBQ'ers without a doubt and will serve you well, enjoy it.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks SOTV

That’s  valuable info thank you and you raise a really good point. I am not sure how much Smokey flavour I (and as you say the family) would actually like to have. 
 

I did start the process looking at the pellet smoker so I haven’t completely written it off yet. Can I  ask which pellet smoker you have and any recommendations for which one I should consider. I have only really looked at the traeger, and only because I saw that one on the TV. 
 

I usually dive in and buy stuff but I am planning on buying my next cooker for the long term so want to make sure it is the right one

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Barstonlita said:

Thanks SOTV

That’s  valuable info thank you and you raise a really good point. I am not sure how much Smokey flavour I (and as you say the family) would actually like to have. 
 

I did start the process looking at the pellet smoker so I haven’t completely written it off yet. Can I  ask which pellet smoker you have and any recommendations for which one I should consider. I have only really looked at the traeger, and only because I saw that one on the TV. 
 

I usually dive in and buy stuff but I am planning on buying my next cooker for the long term so want to make sure it is the right one

I own the Weber Smokefire and as it is the first pellet grill I have owned can't compare it to any other model unfortunately. The problem with high priced smoker/grills is even though your spending over £1000 you never get to see them in action in a store or showroom first. The only way you can is if you buy one of the courses some of the manufacturers offer to the public.

If you decide you're interested in the smokefire in the future, let me know I will let you know the benefits and pitfalls of the model.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, sotv said:

I own the Weber Smokefire and as it is the first pellet grill I have owned can't compare it to any other model unfortunately. The problem with high priced smoker/grills is even though your spending over £1000 you never get to see them in action in a store or showroom first. The only way you can is if you buy one of the courses some of the manufacturers offer to the public.

If you decide you're interested in the smokefire in the future, let me know I will let you know the benefits and pitfalls of the model.

Thanks SOTV

I will look at the Smokefire thank you. You are right though it is difficult to judge what I want without tasting the output from them. 
 

the courses sound interesting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 12:38 AM, Barstonlita said:

Hi all and thank you for letting me join your forum.

I have been doing basic BBQ for a fair time and after many years of assuring everyone I wouldnt do it I finally gave in and went gas. To be honest it is very easy and is pretty similar to the old basic charcoal BBQ I had before albeit without the smoke. 

I am now looking to take it beyond an odd BBQ at the weekend to something more of a hobby and raise my game. I am looking to do some slow cooked meats as well as whatever else I can think of as I take things "to the next level" 

I started looking at smokers "Traeger" etc having seen a programme on Netflix about American BBQ. They also had a big green egg which I had seen before. So I started to investigate what is out there and am leaning towards a Kamado's although that is still up for debate. I think I am currently torn between Kamado Joe Classic 3 and the Monolith Le Chef so would welcome peoples thoughts on the best way forward and if I am on the right track with the kamados or should still be considering pellet smokers or even something else.

I appreciate its all down to personal taste and what you want from it but am interested in peoples views

 

many thanks

 

Simon

Welcome to the forum! If you are looking for a Traeger, I'd suggest you read this grill review first. Some interesting details could grab your attention. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Morning all

Well after much deliberation and many hours on you tube I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Komado Joe Classic 3. Many thanks to all of you who passed their wisdom on and helped me make a final decision.

So the pressure is on now to actually "step up" my cooking and justify to my good lady why I "needed" a Komado Joe in my life.

I think my first cook will be Pork Ribs and I have been watching many videos on them. I am still working through the info on here but would obviously welcome peoples advice on their best methods for cooking your first ribs on a Komado. If it dosnt turn out too bad I might put a photo on.

Thanks again for all of your help  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

So I tried the Ribs. Went for the 3 2 1 method. . The Komado was excellent at holding the heat and it held at 270 degrees for the full 6 hours which is what I was aiming for. With hindsight I think the temp was too high as the result was a bit overcooked and dry I think but still quite nice. (but not nice enough for a photo on here)

Last week I did Buffalo wings which were brilliant. I was happy with those. 

I am trying ribs again this weekend and am planning on reducing temp to nearer 225 and then just keep them on and monitor/spritz rather than take them off and wrap in foil etc. Will see if that improves things.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2021 at 8:48 AM, Barstonlita said:

Morning all

Well after much deliberation and many hours on you tube I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Komado Joe Classic 3. Many thanks to all of you who passed their wisdom on and helped me make a final decision.

So the pressure is on now to actually "step up" my cooking and justify to my good lady why I "needed" a Komado Joe in my life

Hi Barstonlita,

I was stuck for months between the kamado Joe Classic 2, Classic 3 and the Monolith Pro series 1.0 bbq edition...in the end I went with the Monolith, but it was almost at the flip of a coin lol👍

As for the problem of why its "needed" in life I can say that I was eventually successful haha😂🤣😂

 

Welcome to the forum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Adam

i had the same issue deciding between the Joe and the Monolith. Pros and cons for both and they are both great tools I am sure. I have had 3 cooks on mine now and I am very impressed with how it keeps its temp constant for many hours at a time. 
 

I just need to choose the right temp for what I am cooking. I am sure I will get that with practice. Loving it so far and might get the hang of it before the weather improves and Boris says I can have friends around

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sounds like your doign a good job👍 

I think what makes it a hard choice is that there is no wrong answer and the pro's and cons are in the extra's rather than the grills themselves🙂

If the classic 3 was a little cheaper at the time (£100 less) then that would have been my clear choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...