Cedar Planks, Worth Buying?

sotv

Never used them before, understand about the soaking first. But wondering how many cooks you can get out of a plank on average, if looked after. Some people say 1 some say up to 6?

Anyone any experience with them and do they make a difference to the finished fish/meat?

So far have got 3 cooks out of a plank, Napoleon, brought by visitors from over the pond

they have cremated one due to excess alcohol and lack of tending previously but normally get around 4 cooks

do soak mine for around an hour in water with a dash of vermouth

also add fresh lemon slices and lemon thyme or dill or tarragon or a mix of herbs depends what’s about to salmon steaks as still learning what’s the best way preferred salmon done on the gasser so far, gave the finished product a subtle smoky flavour in the background of the lemon and herbs

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sotv said:

Thanks, had a look on Amazon, the 6 packs seem to be around £24 for xl or xxl size. If I can get 3 or 4 out cooks out of a plank, seems a fair price. 

I've had about 6 out of my Weber cherry wood plank, still going too. It's how warping and feels quite brittle, do maybe at is limit. 6 for £24 seems decent value. 

• Like 1

If you do salmon the skin will stick to the plank but does just peel off, then wash in water, store for reuse

the thicker the plank the better as longer to burn through, once no longer suitable for planking use as smoke wood, plank thickness I have is 17mm

photos so start will soaked plank and dried out plank and fish side then underside

41B16165-FAD1-474A-857C-43983F971664.jpeg

3C0F306E-1931-45B8-9411-144D5D760D57.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Last photo on previous post shows underside and I have rotated the plank to spread the wear, normally runner single burner on the gasser, medium to low heat and partially indirect as in plank without fish away from 🔥 

next cook will be in direct to see what happens, probably Saturday 

salmon normally only steaks for management and I

other fish done in basket normally

Had a look at the Weber ones on Amazon also, but reviews were a bit indifferent

Just need to decide on either these or these they're only 10mm thick, but hopefully still do a job?

I have done salmon fillets on cast iron in the past and found scrunching up the sides and then do 3 or 4 slits along the skin about 1/2 inch deep really help with cooking the salmon and stops it sticking & gives you really crispy skin. Can't imagine it would help though with planks though except for getting the seasoning rub into the meat?

What temps do you find the salmon is best cooked at on a plank, usually do it in a pan with oil at around 425F-450F? sometimes a little higher if a really thick piece

edit, just seen you do it on a gasser, so unlikely to know cooking temp, Most things I have seen state medium-to medium high heat for planks and never sure what that means, as it seems quite a wide range of temperature.

Edited by sotv

Have no idea on temp as unless big hunks of meat, brisket, butts etc tend to cook instinctively (ambient temp, my mood, how urgently required) but do use a thermapen to check it has reached a core temperature 

typed a easy view list, laminated version outside so management can check temps, especially fish & venison 

when pan frying salmon steaks I oil the fish not the pan but do get pan screaming hot

yet to get crispy skin when planking 

at a guess temp around 180c, will try to remember to rig the Smoke grate probe up next time to get an idea

have you done a toast test yet, to see if you have any hot spots?

cheap sliced loaf , grill up to temp, lay slices out, couple of minutes then flip, see if any difference in toasted side

gasser does have a hotter burner which I do use for the planking but not full chat

Napoleon bullet smoker has slightly cooler area rather than hot spot above the openings in each ring which I line up and where have enlarged grommet hole to insert smoke probes but nothing horrendous at a guess about 5c as moving grate temp probe around has shown

neighbour has cheap gasser and massive difference between burners as in charcoal bread and golden brown

image.jpg