Plastic Container with lid for Sous Vide

valve90210

Having recently purchased sous vide wand, I'm keen to start using it more but at the moment I'm a little limited by only having one pan that's big enough, a big preserving pan and that's actually too big really and it doesn't have a lid either so it's not ideal. Also it seems metal is not ideal as it's a poor insualtor and transfers too much heat out through it's dies and base.

Having done some looking about it seems people tend to use large plastic containers with lids, which seems like a good idea to me, however a lot of the ones I've seen used are hugely expensive, and would be about the same or more than I paid for the wand itself...

So, I'm trying to find a food grade plastic container with a lid which would be suitable, it needs to be about 15l capacity and ideally a nice balance between height and width so it's a good useable size...  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas of what might be suitable?

These are a couple of the ones I've seen people use but they're expensive, and that's without the price of the lid included..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000VARW8C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-clear-polycarbonate-half-size-gastronorm-container-200mm/u231 :This one would be bearable price wise but I'm not sure i'd be able to alter the lid to fit the wand?

Thanks guys, very good suggestions!! I was doing lots of searching looking for food grade plastic containers but of course the food will be safely sealed in the sous vide bags, which makes it much simpler, in fact I've proably already got something knocking around at home already!!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Nice, time for Dremel (or hacksaw for people like me) and present up the wand to the container to measure how side slot is , then cut out  in lid to allow wand to clip on.  Does not have to be super neat unless you like doing that, it will make little difference

yes that is critical to avoid topping up the water and having temp variations.  You can always bubble wrap it to give more insulation but i think this only really matters with long cooks. Actually i better do that for northern tailgate as am putting beef hearts on for 18-20 hours

Edited by Justin

I intend to use a polystyrene cooler box which have a very reasonable cost, are watertight, insulated, come with a lid and are easy to cut a circular hole into of the appropriate size for my new wand and big enough to allow my new expanding rack to sit in the bottom of the box. Oh hell I shouldn't have mentioned the rack, Sorry everybody, just ignore that bit! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Justin said:

Cutting polystyrene. How will you do it hot wire, hacksaw blade,  dremel, sharp knife?

How thick do you think the lid is? Three foot? No they are not, most are less than an inch so a sharp knife a little longer than that should be more than adequate to do the job! Then if you are worried about the heat from the wand you can create a sleeve to line the hole, a bit like an o-ring but made from plastic. The weight of the wand should keep it in place so no worries about it falling through into the water below but if one was still concerned then a length of wooden dowel laid across the top of the lid should suffice to doubly secure the wand.

Edited by Brinkman
  • Like 1

I paid 13.99, I am sure lid is fine. 

Of course on stock pot I can not fit lid and the balls are very helpful then  I could fit plastic film as Brinkman says, this is a good idea. The balls are more permanent reuse, the film is dispose after. Choices.