Idiot with fire, what could go wrong.....?

Nofingerprints

Hi all, new to the group and will be new to smoking in any real way.

I have recently been lurking in the depths of the forum as a guest for a while soaking up hints. With all of the info I have been secretly pinching, I have just taken the plunge and treated myself to a ProQ Excel and now just waiting on the edge of my seat until Wednesday when it arrives!!!
I look forward to now being able to contribute in either a meaningful or more likely comic (there no doubt will be some disasters...) way.

Enjoy it and try to get some use out of it by Saturday, as seen forecasts for frosts in most places and wintry showers possible in the North from Sunday for a few days ( 12-15 degree drop in temp forecast betweenΒ Sat andΒ Sunday). Just as I have planted all my bedding plants and hanging baskets this weekend. I never learn

It has arrived!! Now need to just try and get through work and then get it up and going. Plan is to just fore it up (might well put a couple of chicken thighs on it because, well new toys...). Then we plan to do to ribs and and a pork shoulder over the course of the long weekend..... Will be sure to post the, no doubt varying quality, results!!!!

• Like 2

It did feel like a very long afternoon!!!

But as promised, some pictures of the first firing up - just some chicken thighs and a couple of jacket potatoes. Learnt a little bit about the temps, and the ProQ Coco Shell Briquettes I was using (take a long time to get going, and next time I will definitely leave them for longer before I start cooking, but once they are, well it was sufficient to use as a patio heater for the wife and I to finish a bottle of wine off!!).

Not going to win any awards for presentation, but the thighs were super tasty (although could have done with coming off 5/10 mins sooner - but not dry), and the spuds were actually brilliant!!

All a learning curve at the moment, and I definitely learnt to leave the coals for a lot longer before starting to cook, but so far 1 for 1 for providing something more than just edible.

1stAttempt1.jpg

1stAttempt2.jpg

1stAttempt3.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good, the coco shell burn for a long time, but take a while to heat up. @Mack posted a video showing the way they recommend to light them on here.

How long do you all cook jackets for at 225F. I have had them on for 3 hours or more and they are still firm in the middle. Can get them soft at higher temps, but when doing lo&slo can never get them soft in the middle?

I cheated and gave them a 10 minute blast in the microwave first just to soften the middle, as I knew they would potentially take a lot longer than the chicken otherwise - they were in at that sort of temp for 1/1.5hrs. Still a nice taste of the smoke the whole way through the potato, and a really goodΒ "creamy" (like you have with oven bakedΒ as opposed to micro'd) texture throughout - cheating it may be, but if it works....Β 

Doing a big pork shoulder on Friday so will be going all day - may stick in a spud and see how it fares with no micro blast....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nofingerprints said:

Doing a big pork shoulder on Friday so will be going all day - may stick in a spud and see how it fares with no micro blast....

In my WSM I have a spare grate that I put over the Charcoal and place my spuds down there for a bit so they cook quicker. I also have wrapped the spuds in foil and the smoke still gets in. Alternatively throw them in the coalΒ wrapped first with a bit of butter etc.Β 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

I find they go rubbery,  not nice...😝

Β 

Ice.

im not keen anymore even though I always did it lol. I once saw someone put some food grade stainless steel nails into them, apparently it helps cook the middle quicker so you can do them completely in the bbq in slightly less time...

I have never tried it though.

I have also seen a jacket cored (not all the way through), stuffed with butter and then the core put back in just before baking....next time I may try thisπŸ˜‹

4 hours ago, AdamG said:

im not keen anymore even though I always did it lol. I once saw someone put some food grade stainless steel nails into them, apparently it helps cook the middle quicker so you can do them completely in the bbq in slightly less time...

I have never tried it though.

I have also seen a jacket cored (not all the way through), stuffed with butter and then the core put back in just before baking....next time I may try thisπŸ˜‹

slice them in halfΒ  take a teaspoon out of each side put garlic butter in and wrap in tinfoil tightΒ  ..Β  omg it is wonderfulΒ 

Edited by flearider
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, flearider said:

slice them in halfΒ  take a teaspoon out of each side put garlic butter in and wrap in tinfoil tightΒ  ..Β  omg it is wonderfulΒ 

Friday is the day im gonna do that🀀

• Like 1

Second cook tonight..... A whole chicken and a couple of thighs that we're still knocking about, used the hook system in the ProQ for a vertical cook....

2 and a bit hrs.... And these were the results, pull apart dark meat and the breast meat still super juicy; seriously good saying so myself....

IMG_20200507_193154.jpg

IMG_20200507_192513.jpg

IMG_20200507_192409.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nofingerprints said:

Second cook tonight..... A whole chicken and a couple of thighs that we're still knocking about, used the hook system in the ProQ for a vertical cook....

2 and a bit hrs.... And these were the results, pull apart dark meat and the breast meat still super juicy; seriously good saying so myself....

IMG_20200507_193154.jpg

IMG_20200507_192513.jpg

IMG_20200507_192409.jpg

Did everyone else enjoy it?

Looks greatπŸ‘

• Like 2