Sirloin, Tied or Flat?

sotv

Got a piece of sirloin yesterday that is 2kg a flat piece about 2 inches thick, is it best to tie it or cook it as a flat piece. Never cooked one as a roast before and most pieces you see advertised seem to be tied and rolled?

IMG_267.thumb.JPG.b6bf4517de3ea7c4e7c35c9a1edec8b7.JPG

IMG_268.thumb.JPG.4e0183464952a08f304bc6686670e0d5.JPG

Thanks both, will give it a go as a flat piece of meat then, probably stick a skillet underneath and try to make a jus or gravy from the drippings and stuff, I will add to the skillet also

I assume it is a sirloin top piece I have due to the thickness of it? The butcher said it would roast and smoke lovely,  just forgot to ask what cut it was....

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

Have created a entry to my Blog here on the cook if interested. 

Turned out well with a homemade gravy and Aunt Bessie Yorkshire Puddings on a smoker were a revelation to me. A few pictures if you don't want to read the blog

IMG_0283.thumb.JPG.64c496784435d0ae1dab4058ad6e9fac.JPG

IMG_0346.thumb.JPG.ccc53b87e20adef74adbdeeb31a3ef6e.JPG

• Like 1

It was, noticing a lot of cooks I am doing with beef, the guideline temps for the cooked temps, don't match what I do in the real world. Did this to 145F and restedit,  so it should have been medium/well done, how my wife likes it. But the colour of the meat and blood after resting and slicing it, suggested it was medium/rare which I prefer.(Used 3 different temp probes during and after cook as well as checking accuracy of my Weber probes at the moment

Going to have to start making notes for my own temps as Roast beef is always a problem between finished result and expected result

1 hour ago, sotv said:

It was, noticing a lot of cooks I am doing with beef, the guideline temps for the cooked temps, don't match what I do in the real world. Did this to 145F and restedit,  so it should have been medium/well done, how my wife likes it. But the colour of the meat and blood after resting and slicing it, suggested it was medium/rare which I prefer.(Used 3 different temp probes during and after cook as well as checking accuracy of my Weber probes at the moment

Going to have to start making notes for my own temps as Roast beef is always a problem between finished result and expected result

the different density of the meats will need a bit more cooking time .fillet being rather lose and sirloin being tighter you may have to give it a bit longer 

tough meat takes longer to soften  were as denser meat takes the same if you get my drift    

• Like 1