Jump to content

Shelter for winter cooking


Phlashster
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I want to get something sorted to allow me to use my kit whatever the weather. I am not yet in a position for a full on BBQ shack but need something. 

As a short(ish) term option, I am thinking of getting one of these.

double-bay-log-store-3.thumb.jpg.ca1a937ccbf988ce0a3bd69c16ea2b0f.jpg

With doors on like below. 

double-bay-log-store-5.thumb.jpg.fd8a37f067a3d1a657fb3f1196fbd6f6.jpg

It will be 6ft (1.8M) high, 5ft (1.5m) wide and 3ft (0.9m) deep. This will house my Pro Q (.45m wide and deep) and the compact Kamado (even smaller). Plenty of room around for safety and bits and pieces. 

It is designed as a log store, so is deliberately not airtight. This makes it perfect in terms of releasing smoke. As you can see made from good strong timber which has been well protected. I think it will give protection from 95% of the bad weather and allow me to store some of the tools/accessories etc in there as well as the smokers. The floor would need a little bit of work. 

It will sit on the patio for now, and be moved down a level in the garden once that area has been prepared. Then, it might form the basis for something bigger to be constructed off of it (with the doors removed).

Cost is about £300. It can be achieved fast with little mess and hassle. I am time poor and not a carpenter by trade.

Aside from make something myself (which will look worse, take much longer and probably cost me more as i would need to buy most of the tools), does anyone have any other ideas that might work better?

Thanks, Phil.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Smokin Monkey said:

Yes it should work, I would look at putting some sort of vent high up to allow Smoke to escape, or it might get smoke logged and suffocate the coals?

I think it is covered. The doors don't seal perfectly at the top and bottom, and there is a gap already at the top of the back so it doesn't meet the roof.

As its a log store, you need airflow, so it is designed in.

Also, unless the rain is coming in from the front, i don't envisage the doors being shut during a cook. 

No suggestions for something else you may have seen more suitable?

Thanks, Phil. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So..an update. 

I ordered one of these quite a few weeks back. It was delivered on a pallet just before i went away. So it has been sat waiting for me.

I managed to get it assembled this morning before the rain came. 

IMG_20191102_092320.thumb.jpg.16e07e8c8fee86583ca2cd333c6384ee.jpg

Very solid materials. Two of us can't lift it to be honest. We have now shuffled it into place however. 

The front doors have a decent gap at the top.(Banana for scale) IMG_20191102_092555.thumb.jpg.f095e8f0191613906eea875ba91e77e2.jpg 

There is a good gap all the way underneath also IMG_20191102_092333.thumb.jpg.26b5b3a2b7e138b59bc0d0d52b098905.jpg

And there is a gap at the back between the roof and the rear also IMG_20191102_092353.thumb.jpg.175aa6d6b28482e23dc636332b567c33.jpg

 

IMG_20191102_113254.thumb.jpg.2d453bfae6565dccdac7fa0e43068d4d.jpg      IMG_20191102_113307.thumb.jpg.2ffda8fae4a45482994fd6620a2e1ced.jpg      IMG_20191102_113312.thumb.jpg.edd60130ef87d7b00cc8a63f9253c052.jpg The Pro Q fits in nicely. Plenty of clearance. 

I have got the Pro Q coming up to temp for a piece of shoulder. Let's see how it goes. It is now raining. But I am in the house monitoring the Smartfire from the warm and dry. 😁

Phil.

 

IMG_20191102_092413.jpg

IMG_20191102_122502.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

that looks ideal to me 

I have only used it the once so far, but it worked brilliantly. The smoke comes out of the large gap above the doors. With the gaps underneath the floor and at the rear of the roof as well, plenty of air can get in. In the really heavy and prolonged rain we have had, the roof gets saturated and some drips have come through. The minutest fraction compared to not being in the shelter though! I am going to find a sealer of some type to paint the roof with to add some extra weather proofing. 

I know it shouldn't rust anyway, but i was always wary of using my nice shiny new Pro Q it in the rain. :) I am thinking the Pro Q is likely to be even more stable and use less fuel during winter cooks. The Kamado doesn't seem to care whatever happens. 

Phil.

 

 

Edited by Phlashster
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Phlashster said:

I have only used it the once so far, but it worked brilliantly. The smoke comes out of the large gap above the doors. With the gaps underneath the floor and at the rear of the roof as well, plenty of air can get in. In the really heavy and prolonged rain we have had, the roof gets saturated and some drips have come through. The minutest fraction compared to not being in the shelter though! I am going to find a sealer of some type to paint the roof with to add some extra weather proofing. 

I know it shouldn't rust anyway, but i was always wary of using my nice shiny new Pro Q it in the rain. :) I am thinking the Pro Q is likely to be even more stable and use less fuel during winter cooks. The Kamado doesn't seem to care whatever happens. 

Phil.

 

 

How much was it ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For that size, with the optional doors, £300. That is built to order and delivered in sections on a pallet. They even send a driver end for your screwdriver in with the screws. 

Minimal assembly. The base, sides and roof are fully complete. You just screw the back posts and sides to the base, attach the two back panels, throw on the central front post, fix the roof down to that lot and then attach the doors. Even the hinges are premounted. 

Phil. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Phlashster said:

For that size, with the optional doors, £300. That is built to order and delivered in sections on a pallet. They even send a driver end for your screwdriver in with the screws. 

Minimal assembly. The base, sides and roof are fully complete. You just screw the back posts and sides to the base, attach the two back panels, throw on the central front post, fix the roof down to that lot and then attach the doors. Even the hinges are premounted. 

Phil. 

Are you still using it as I'm looking for something similar and your link still works, although it has gone up!

It looks the nuts!

Cheers

Mick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mick,

Yes, It's still doing its job perfectly. 

Covid has delayed all sorts of things, including my plans to get another section of the garden levelled off and a shack built. So, by pure fluke, it was great timing getting this. 

It still houses the small kamado and the Pro Q. Although to be honest, I have only used the Pro Q for cold smoking since I got a large Kamado that sits outside of this unit. I sometimes move the small kamado out and use its space to use a Weber Go Anywhere for a quick grill when the weather is like today.

It has made my outdoor cooking life easier, more consistent and less disrupted by weather. A great investment for me.

Phil.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2019 at 5:28 PM, Phlashster said:

For that size, with the optional doors, £300. That is built to order and delivered in sections on a pallet. They even send a driver end for your screwdriver in with the screws. 

Minimal assembly. The base, sides and roof are fully complete. You just screw the back posts and sides to the base, attach the two back panels, throw on the central front post, fix the roof down to that lot and then attach the doors. Even the hinges are premounted. 

Phil. 

 

4 hours ago, Phlashster said:

Hi Mick,

Yes, It's still doing its job perfectly. 

Covid has delayed all sorts of things, including my plans to get another section of the garden levelled off and a shack built. So, by pure fluke, it was great timing getting this. 

It still houses the small kamado and the Pro Q. Although to be honest, I have only used the Pro Q for cold smoking since I got a large Kamado that sits outside of this unit. I sometimes move the small kamado out and use its space to use a Weber Go Anywhere for a quick grill when the weather is like today.

It has made my outdoor cooking life easier, more consistent and less disrupted by weather. A great investment for me.

Phil.

 

Appreciate your response Phil.

Real estate is my real problem but your original post and follow up has basically made my mind up.

Many thanks

Mick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, Phlashster said:

... i was always wary of using my nice shiny new Pro Q it in the rain.

 

 

 Don't do it!!

 

I was cold smoking some bacon yesterday and ran late, ended up leaving it out overnight to finish. It rained this morning and when I got to it the matrix in the bottom was sitting in 1 1/2" of water. Looking at the design I think the rain runs down each section to the join where capillary action draws it inside.

 

Won't not be a problem if you've a full-blown fire in the basket as the rain will turn to steam but I won't be leaving mine out to cold smoke again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...