Roast Potatoes In A Smoker?

sotv

Picked up A Whole Duck In Morrisons today, looking to do it with some Roast Potatoes in the coming days. Never done them in the smoker before any hints and tips to doing it?

I will be cooking the duck at 325F or as close as and was thinking of adding the potatoes to the drip tray below the duck and letting the fat from the duck drip on them, whilst they are cooking.

Expect the duck to take 2-3 hours cooking time, anyone any experience of doing roasties in a smoker, what sort of cooking time do they require and assume best to parboil them first. Thinking of Albert Bartlett Reds cut into halves for the roasties. Can the spuds be left to roast or do they need turning and basting.

• Like 3

@sotv  I just do them exactly as I would in the oven, peel and par-boil. Let them dry off and then put into pre-heated oil in foil trays in the smoker at high temp. In the Davy Crockett I used a pellet tube to add some extra smoke as the pellet smoker doesn't produce much smoke at high temperature.  In the past I've done them in a kettle bbq, again at high temps and with hickory pellets which has given a better smoke flavour.

I always make sure to turn the potatoes in the oil when adding them so they have a coating all over for the smoke to stick to. They will need turning in the oil as per normal roast potatoes to get the lovely crispiness. :)

I've never done them in with anything else as really you need the high temperature to get the oil nice and hot to essentially fry the outer to get the golden crisp outer. (that's why I need 7 bbqs right?)

Oh and if you can get them, King Edwards all the way :)

• Like 3

325F is about the max I can get in the ProQ, will stick a couple of spuds in a deep foil tray and see how they turn out, whilst cooking the duck over them. Pretty sure it won't be high enough but will give it ago and have the usual Beansprout stirfry on standby if they don't turn out edible 😀

• Like 1

Learnt a bit yesterday from experimenting. Cooked the duck at an average of 310F and it took 3 and a half hours. As not sure what the roasties would take to cook. I put them in at the same time. They cooked and were edible in just under 2 hours, so had to eat them on their own. Very nice, not super crispy and fluffy, like done in the oven. More soft in the middle with a soft crunch on the outside. Though they were still good and the duck fat flavour was very noticeable, although it made them a little greasy. Would try again especially now I have an idea of how long they take to cook in the ProQ.

• Like 1