First Bacon Cure

David

Started my first ever bacon cure last night using curing kit from Wade,  Excellent kit with very clear instructions. Bought a cold smoke generator and eco smoker which arrived today. Looking forward to the progression. I’m going to smoke over apple wood, has anyone ever smoked with Makuna?. Going to order a collar joint to start a collar bacon next week.

7562748F-8B07-4124-9036-EE67366E60F6.thumb.jpeg.e34c360ee3d9608e1d6934d469af93f2.jpeg

• Like 2

There's a saying on here ...."you'll never buy bacon from a supermarket ever again"...I started curing bacon last year following Wade's instructions, never looked back.  May I be bold and suggest pork loin next?? I now cure for 14 days, dry in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, then smoke for 9 hrs this suits our taste buds the best.

Ice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Icefever said:

There's a saying on here ...."you'll never buy bacon from a supermarket ever again"...I started curing bacon last year following Wade's instructions, never looked back.  May I be bold and suggest pork loin next?? I now cure for 14 days, dry in the fridge for 2 or 3 days, then smoke for 9 hrs this suits our taste buds the best.

Ice.

Suggestion received cheers. I will cure a loin. I  have already ordered my collar joint so will cure that also. Does 9 hours give a strong or mild smoke flavour?

10 minutes ago, David said:

Does 9 hours give a strong or mild smoke flavour?

I've found that for us 9 hrs is just about spot on....I've done 11 hrs and found it too strong,  I suppose it's all down to taste.....what you could do would be to put two slabs in the smoker,  take one out at 9 hrs and leave the other for whatever time you think you may like???.

That way you've got a side by side tasting session ?? just a thought? I did this with cheese starting at 3 hrs up to I think 5 or 6 hrs, can't remember, same with that we found 3hrs was enough for us.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Icefever said:

,  I suppose it's all down to taste.....what you could do would be to put two slabs in the smoker,  take one out at 9 hrs and leave the other for whatever time you think you may like???.

That way you've got a side by side tasting session ?? just a thought? I did this with cheese starting at 3 hrs up to I think 5 or 6 hrs, can't remember, same with that we found 3hrs was enough for us.

Ice.

That’s a good idea, we don’t like strong smoke either.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, David said:

Smoked for 4 hours last night  with applewood - just right smoked flavour profile for us.

Great looking bacon and, as Steve says, I love seeing people using inexpensive box smokers :thumb1:. If you can wait, once it has come out of the smoker either vac pack it or leave it in a ziploc bag for another 4 or 5 days to allow the smoke flavours to penetrate and mellow. Straight out of the smoker, even 4 hours of smoking will taste strong (and don't forget that the end slices will taste of heavier smoke than the middle), however quite quickly the smoke flavour will mellow and you may find that you needed more. You will only know by trying.

• Like 4