Looks like I got myself some Sweetcorn!

Smokin Monkey

My garden has gone into full bloom this year, I’ll post a photo when I get home. The strawberries this year were amazing, the most we’ve ever got. Runner beans haven’t really come to life but it is the first year. Herb garden is as wild as ever. 

Nice bit of sweetcorn with some butter. 

• Like 1

I got given some sound advise from a vegetable technologist some years ago, sweet corn love warm soil, so I used to cover the top of the soil with black polythene liner and then plant the sweet corn plant through the liner. When we started doing is we used to get a minimum of 2 heads of corn per plant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

@David  I'll remember this next year :thumb1:  I can't stand the stuff, it's for SWMBO..😄

Ice.

Also plant in blocks to aid with pollination. I also use to plant a variety that does better in cooler climates. I can’t remember the name but I’ll have a look in my seed drawer.

No fields behind me, just a railway line and then a school, the joys of living in London I guess.  

CCDF108E-AA3D-47E1-A04B-1E852C40DAF2.thumb.jpeg.d20ab7bceff4113bf0cc5a4ec985e760.jpeg

here’s how my garden has gone this year, before I start trimming some of it back. 

B875FB76-C493-4AF4-BB69-DD87BF1F161B.thumb.jpeg.82f0032e0f189914b2de2a224a2d217c.jpeg

and here is the single runner bean that has come up. What a brave little guy. 

• Like 2