Saved From A Ruined Cook Again By This Expected Rainfall Radar Website

sotv

Was going to cook some ribs yesterday, based on my local Friday night TV News channel weather forecast and looking at the BBC Weather page on their website, saying it was going to be a dry day with sunny spells. for my area.

It looked very cloudy and overcast in the morning. So checked a website I use that shows rainfall expected in my location, by radar meteoradar (just add your location) shows a 1 hour radar picture (realtime) + a 3 hour one by clicking forecast.

Showed me 2.5 hours of constant rain up to 1.5mm per hour from 11.00am -13.30pm Sure enough it was spot on +/- 10 minutes. BBC website continued to show no rain during that period, even when it was continuous rain outside

Not the first time this website has saved my cook from a soaking, recommended if you don't like cooking in the rain. Doesn't give you temperatures and whether the sun is shining, but I would rather know it is going to be dry, than anything else. Just save your location and it remembers it everytime you visit and shows any rainfall and amounts expected for the next 3 hours in the graph on the side and radar picture of rain clouds in the main display

Edited by sotv
  • Like 2

@sotv

I was annoyed how wrong the forecasts for yesterday were also!

My wife had to listen to it a few times so you don't have to. :) 

I will add Meteoradar to my phone. (Edit On Android its called Rain Radar UK & Ireland by the Meteo company)

Phil.

Edited by Phlashster

• 5 months later...

Should of took my own advice, did some ribs yesterday, after watching the BBC weather site for the past week it was forecasting a slightly windy but a dry mild (13 degrees) day for it. Started it up at 9am and put the ribs on at 10. Heavens opened up 15 minutes later and didn't stop for over 5 hours. Turned out alright, but never enjoy cooking in wet weather.

It's often a daily discussion here who's weather app is going to be correct SWMBO has BBC & I tend to stick with the met office although sometimes we then take a peek at Accuweather.

Never really any the wiser, might as well use seaweed & cat gut 🤪

Cheers n Gone Nick

11 hours ago, Skagg2000 said:

might as well use seaweed

Similar to my method.....I have a piece of baler twine hanging on the kitchen door frame outside. In the morning I open the door reach outside to grab the twine,  now this is the scientific bit...if the twine is dry it's not raining....if the twine is wet....you've got it already...it's raining...never fails. 😎😂

Ice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Icefever said:

Similar to my method.....I have a piece of baler twine hanging on the kitchen door frame outside. In the morning I open the door reach outside to grab the twine,  now this is the scientific bit...if the twine is dry it's not raining....if the twine is wet....you've got it already...it's raining...never fails. 😎😂

Ice.

This is very much the same method used by the Irish which I learnt when visiting my grandparents. If you look outside and it’s wet then it’s raining. If you look outside and it’s dry then it’s not raining...yet.

• Haha 2