Cheddar and Jarlsberg

sub333

Having my first crack at smoking cheese in my ProQ Frontier. 

Coming up to 3hrs, which I think will be plenty. 

Had a taste 30mins ago and was delicious! Will follow advice on here and Ieave for a short while before vac-packing. 

This forum has been incredibly useful. I now own a vac-packer, and it was only 20 quid or so -it's the Cooks Essentials one that I think Justin uses. Had never thought of buying one before but am sure it will be a v useful purchase. 

Once the cheese is packed, I need to leave it for minimum 2-3 wks, right? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The procedure most of us follow 👍 Should be good to eat, with those timings in 2-3 weeks. I love smoked cheese, probably my favourite form of cold smoking and easiest to do. Hope you enjoy the fruits of your first attempt.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the 2hr smoke this weekend – really good! Will leave the 3hr smoke for another week or so.

Have got some more cheese cold-smoking now: A slab of Comté, some more mature Cheddar and some Grana Padano (intrigued how this one turns out).

I'm using oak dust – if I use another type of dust, will I notice a big difference? I've bought a few different ones: beech and alder (mainly for salmon), and some cherry, apple and hickory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sub333 said:

Tried the 2hr smoke this weekend – really good! Will leave the 3hr smoke for another week or so.

Have got some more cheese cold-smoking now: A slab of Comté, some more mature Cheddar and some Grana Padano (intrigued how this one turns out).

I'm using oak dust – if I use another type of dust, will I notice a big difference? I've bought a few different ones: beech and alder (mainly for salmon), and some cherry, apple and hickory.

I think you will notice a difference in the finished smoky flavour taste and strength of smoke with the types of dust you use. I prefer lighter tasting ones and use a mix of Silver Birch and Apple when I smoke cheese.  But whatever suits your tastebuds will all be good.

Have tried Comte smoked and think it worked really well and is a good melting cheese as well.

Never smoked Padano but like it on pizza, be interested to see what you think.

Anyone interested in smoking Castello Tickler Extra Mature Cheese, Morrisons at the Deli counter have it on offer for £6.50 a kg at the moment. Smoked a kg last week, but not tried it yet.

Going to try this recipe of there site that appeals to me, once it has settled.  Mature Cheddar cups with eggs chive and bacon (using homemade smokey bacon as well)

I have made this on several occasions, I found on there and is something different from chutney a little sharp but goes well with strong cheese and if you like a cheeseboard, something different to try with your cheese and biscuits Raspberry Daiquiri Jam

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3

I use orange dust mostly for smoking cheese. and following Wades advice I leave the cheese unwrapped in the open for an hour (maybe a bit of clingfilm loosely on top of a food net to keep bugs off and that helps enormously with the final mellow. Then I vac it and leave in fridge for 3, 4 or 5 plus weeks depending how how feel, It certainly tastes smoother and more mellow after 5 weeks plus

On 5/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, sub333 said:

Having my first crack at smoking cheese in my ProQ Frontier. 

Coming up to 3hrs, which I think will be plenty. 

Had a taste 30mins ago and was delicious! Will follow advice on here and Ieave for a short while before vac-packing. 

This forum has been incredibly useful. I now own a vac-packer, and it was only 20 quid or so -it's the Cooks Essentials one that I think Justin uses. Had never thought of buying one before but am sure it will be a v useful purchase. 

Once the cheese is packed, I need to leave it for minimum 2-3 wks, right? 

I’ve got that one now great vac pack machine . I’m still building my cold smoker . Trying to find suitable vents for it . Then I’m smoking cheese . This eating plan I’m on recommends loads of cheese . Which is a bummer ! 😂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Justin said:

Good work, you will be a smoked  cheese master in no time

Was so simple! Got home from work, filled up the CSG, by 8/9pm it was ready!
Great tip about putting the cheese on paper, to avoid grille marks.

Have just used oak so far, so will try beech or alder next time. 

That vac-pack you use, @Justin was a great recco - works perfectly and was only 20 quid or so. A great purchase!

• Thanks 1