Plancha plate Fajitas

David

Looks great and very tasty, Seasoned mine today, a smaller 43cm ProQ version. Seasoning was a bit of a pain took nearly an hour to do both sides, but worth it as no sticking and found getting the plancha up to temperature in this still cool weather was better with the lid on. Once up to temp though removed lid.

Cooked a couple of Lidl 21 day old Rump Steaks and bits and bobs. Very tasty and was all cooked in less than 15 minutes.

Paella next on the list ( cooking the thighs, pork and peppers on the plancha along with blackening the raw prawns) will also heat up the chicken stock and saffron in a saucepan on it, then put all into a paella pan on top of the plancha  to cook the rice and finish the meats and fish off. Weather looking good for the foreseeable, so sometime next week hopefully..

Temperature of the plancha according to the probe got to 400+F and I used some BIG K Restaurant Grade Lumpwood Charcoal (the big chunks, not stick versions) Initial impressions very good and is hotter and cleaner than any lumpwood I have used on the ProQ before. Full chimney starter turned into white hot coals in less than 20 minutes and no smoke came from them

IMG_0713.thumb.JPG.71f37440b4acfe78d74be3fa35b1190d.JPG

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3

Yours looks mouth watering also. I bought my plate from ‘smokerig’ 6mm carbon steel. It also took me about an hour to season, I used refined rapeseed oil.  I was thinking of char Sui fried rice. Cooking  char Sui pork fillet in the Tandoor oven and then frying off with the rice on the Plancha. I would also enjoy the task of cooking breakfast for 10 people on it and of course a Philly cheese steak sandwich. 

I used the the Weber long burning briquettes mixed with some restaurant quality lump wood.

Do you have any steam domes? 

• Like 1

I have a cast iron skillet I use a lot. The more I use it the better it is. Never let any soap near it. And I oil it lightly all over once cleaned in hot water and dr8ed thoroughly. I oil and season 8n oven at 200c for one hour every 3 months too.  I look after it and it delivers beautifully.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, David said:

Yours looks mouth watering also. I bought my plate from ‘smokerig’ 6mm carbon steel. It also took me about an hour to season, I used refined rapeseed oil.  I was thinking of char Sui fried rice. Cooking  char Sui pork fillet in the Tandoor oven and then frying off with the rice on the Plancha. I would also enjoy the task of cooking breakfast for 10 people on it and of course a Philly cheese steak sandwich. 

I used the the Weber long burning briquettes mixed with some restaurant quality lump wood.

Do you have any steam domes? 

I don't have any steam domes, looked at them over xmas, can see the benefit of them for melting cheese over the burger, but not sure I would use them for anything else. Will probably just try melting some cheese over a burger first without one, if it is a struggle, then I will probably invest in a 12" one.

I got as a xmas a spatula and scraper set from Amazon and was really pleased with the way the worked with the plancha, especially the scraper, cleaned the plancha up very well and the scraper or just a spatula can be bought separately if 3 spatulas not needed. As 3 spatulas is certainly a bit of an overkill for my sized plancha

I would like to try cooking some whole fish on there but need to invest in a fish basket first, as I am pretty sure the fish stick to the plancha or break up at full temperature, without one, if I tried to cook them straight on the plancha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sotv said:

I don't have any steam domes, looked at them over xmas, can see the benefit of them for melting cheese over the burger, but not sure I would use them for anything else. Will probably just try melting some cheese over a burger first without one, if it is a struggle, then I will probably invest in a 12" one.

I got as a xmas a spatula and scraper set from Amazon and was really pleased with the way the worked with the plancha, especially the scraper, cleaned the plancha up very well and the scraper or just a spatula can be bought separately if 3 spatulas not needed. As 3 spatulas is certainly a bit of an overkill for my sized plancha

I would like to try cooking some whole fish on there but need to invest in a fish basket first, as I am pretty sure the fish stick to the plancha or break up at full temperature, without one, if I tried to cook them straight on the plancha.

For fish I was going to Oil some baking parchment and put it between the fish and the Plancha and cook on a cooler section of the plate. I suppose a steam dome would be handy for this. .Might try it with some salmon that has been marinated in soy, garlic and ginger. I could make a make shift dome with a aluminium foil.

I cook fish on the cast iron skillet no probe, leave the skin underneath and it crisps up lovely. does not stick at all. I did some the salmon fillets two days ago,  and used probe to test the temp to 52c which is jut cooked. lovely and firm but tasty

Not an engineering marvel I know but managed to make three steam domes (14cm, 18cm & 26cm)for £11.16. I bought the stainless steel bowls from the Range (however  I did see the smaller 14 cm bowl in home bargains later for 40p each!!) I just bought a set ,of door knobs and screwed then in. Will try one later and see how it gets on.

B3A5A69B-F452-4467-8B4F-1EF5792B07A4.thumb.jpeg.862dca63cf0e4cb7c3c447514e33e14d.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice bit of DIY on those domes, Were those Rosti's/hash browns frozen or home made?

Can see all day breakfasts becoming popular in our household, this summer. I have some of those egg silicone rings that give you round fried eggs and can be used to cook breakfast pancakes on the plancha, so will add some pancakes to our breakfasts.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

I have two of the smokerig planchas, one for the Weber 57 kettle and the other for my Weber Q2200. They are really really addictive!

I've also made the steam domes from the range's stainless steel bowls. Although find I only use the larger ones. 

The planchas are ace and built to last. Great for steaks, Philly cheese steaks, cooking with salt blocks, stir frustrates, pancakes, drop crumpets, fry ups etc. Would be lost without them. 😁

IMG_20190216_120633.jpg

• Like 2

Lidl are selling these from Thursday 28th February. 21 Day Dry Aged Cowboy Steaks 0.8kg to 1.2kg for £16.99. Seared and smoked mine lo & slo last year, when they were on offer. But very tempted to cook it on the plancha this year. Nice piece of steak and easily feeds 2 people.

Lidl-steak-1287237.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 2/15/2019 at 9:53 AM, David said:

For fish I was going to Oil some baking parchment and put it between the fish and the Plancha and cook on a cooler section of the plate. I suppose a steam dome would be handy for this. .Might try it with some salmon that has been marinated in soy, garlic and ginger. I could make a make shift dome with a aluminium foil.

Did you try some fish in the end, and what method did you use? Bought some fish baskets but also got some butchers paper which I could use if a better way of doing it? Thinking of giving it ago with a couple of whole sea bass this week.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 8:35 AM, sotv said:

Did you try some fish in the end, and what method did you use? Bought some fish baskets but also got some butchers paper which I could use if a better way of doing it? Thinking of giving it ago with a couple of whole sea bass this week.

No, not yet. Sea bass sound good though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David said:

No, not yet. Sea bass sound good though.

Not sure, but thinking the temp the plancha gets too may be a little hot for cooking a whole fish directly on with one stacker and it could stick and break up on it . Could cook it on a 2 stacker setting? i suppose, but will try it within a fish basket for a first go I think.