Smoked cheese in a fridge

Ruedeleglise

I can't really help, but can say I have made a lot of smoked cheese (currently got nearly 3kg sitting in my fridge at the moment ) and have never smelt it in there or had other food tainted by it now or in the past and I use ziploc bags as well. 

All I can think is maybe your fridge is at a temp above 4C and it is a little warmer than it should be. If not it is a bit of strange one, unless the cheese has been oversmoked or the ziploc bags aren't sealing properly. .

We have a spare fridge in the outhouse that we use for our smoked cheese,  and we will use it to store the bacon as well..I must admit in the short time that we've been doing it neither of us has noticed the smell.

3 hours ago, sotv said:

All I can think is maybe your fridge is at a temp above 4C and it is a little warmer than it should be. If not it is a bit of strange one, unless the cheese has been oversmoked or the ziploc bags aren't sealing properly.

This is a valid point about the temp,  I put a digi thermo in the fridge to take a reading, then turned the dial to adjust the fridge and set it at 3c.  Over smoked ??? I did a couple of small blocks for up to 5 hours just to test/see/taste.....and they didn't seem to add any more smoked smell at all. Ziploc bags can be a little temperamental at times.  

Ice.

• 2 weeks later...