Scaremongers

Ruedeleglise

I have just survived a tirade from, I am sure,  a misinformed and I hope ignorant but well meaning fellow.  He approached me as he was aghast that I had given some home cold smoked salmon to a friend of ours. In effect he was saying that I was risking killing our mutual friend and his family with listeria and botulism! I tried to reason with him but to no avail. His parting shot was “let it be on your conscience if they are seriously ill or die”!  I have been an avid eater of smoked food both hot and cold prepared by myself and shop bought for over 70 years. Hasn’t killed me or anyone I know yet! 

Have any of you been “attacked” like this? If so do you just ignore them or do you have any good authorative put down that you use?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is little one can do about people who make erroneous statements based upon a lack of knowledge. I expect that even if you showed him all of the available official food safety guidance on smoking salmon he would still bury his head in the sand. You could just put a note in your diary for a months time to drop him an email letting him know that, despite eating the deadly salmon, both you and your mutual friend are still alive and thriving...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Justin said:

Right. Yes. The scared to eat an egg brigade.  

Edwina Currie circa mid 80’s. Then of course we were told not to eat more that 3 eggs a week because of the cholesterol content .But only about 2 years ago ....all change! Behold egg cholesterol can’t be assimilated by us as it is different and now we are told we can eat up to 3 eggs a day. Clucking bell!

D

On 9/22/2018 at 2:57 PM, Neil Craven said:

Not been attacked as such but there are some people who gain a little knowledge and then go round annoying everybody they ever meet. In one ear out the other is the best way to cope I've found.

Happy smoking 

Usually Vegans 

1 hour ago, Neil Craven said:

Only know one vegan and at my last pizza cookout on discovering  the buffalo mozzarella wasnt her vegan substitute said "f@#k it taste lush" this after asking "wheres the food or should I start on the lawn" my kind of vegan ?

My grandaughter is a vegan (stepped her game up from being a vegetarian) have to shop in a whole different aisle in the supermarket for her now, when she comes up. Did a paella for everyone a couple of weeks ago. Did her a seperate one and went to use what I thought was safe to use a vegetable Oxo for the stock. "No it isn't vegan grandad", had to go out and buy some Kallo vegetable cubes, that evidently are. It is a whole different ball game now to cook for her and to make it even harder she has a nut allergy. I have to spend half an hour reading ingredients in the supermarket just to be able to cook a meal for her.. ?

Edited by sotv

9 minutes ago, sotv said:

My grandaughter is a vegan (stepped her game up from being a vegetarian) have to shop in a whole different aisle in the supermarket for her now, when she comes up. Did a paella for everyone a couple of weeks ago. Did her a seperate one and went to use what I thought was safe to use a vegetable Oxo for the stock. "No it isn't vegan grandad", had to go out and buy some Kallo vegetable cubes, that evidently are. It is a whole different ball game now to cook for her and to make it even harder she has a nut allergy. I have to spend half an hour reading ingredients in the supermarket just to be able to cook a meal for her.. ?

That's bad but she's your granddaughter what can you do ? it's the whole you can't prep on the same table has that spoon been used for something else bla bla bla type that do me in but hats off to them I managed 3 weeks as a vegetarian 30 years ago before I smelt a rib eye cooking and cracked it was hard ?

I have one piscaterian daughter and two veggie granddaughters in Canada. Here in the U.K. I have another gluten intolerant granddaughter, our second daughter gluten “sensitive” and a wife (the only one thank heavens!) who has gluten intolerance,  garlic intollerance /near allergy and IBS.......me? I am a mange-tout....there is not a thing I actually dislike and I have the digestive capacity of an Ostrich! Why all these eating problems....? Sprays, insecticides, additives? We have the dentition of an omnivore and the gut length to match! Not the gut of a vegetarian with rumens etc. Anyhow each to his own! Possibly having been born into war time austerity and weened onto tripe, ox hearts, lites and anything else lying about plus HAVING to clear one’s plate, there isn’t a thing I won’t eat (or drink!)

• Like 1