UK BBQ Smoking Pellets Price Comparison - Updated 14/06/20

Tabs

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Very interesting thread....I Recently bought a Weber Smokefire and it’s working out around £10 in pellets every low and slow smoke, eg 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag @ £17/ bag. 

After spending a fair amount on meat, I don’t want to scrimp and jam up the auger but at the same time I can’t help but think these other cheaper  pellets can’t be too dissimilar.

what are yours experiences with using othe pellets on your smokers folks?

Thanks, Richard 👍🏻

Edited by Dicky

• 5 weeks later...

Blackboxbbq selling the 10kg bags of Alfresco Cherry for £12.50 (£55 free delivery) ordered 5 bags. Used 7 bags of different Alfresco pellets now and had no problems with my my Pellet Grill running them and the Walnut, Oak and Chestnut have all added a decent smoke flavour to the meat I have used with them.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 10:37 PM, Dicky said:

Hi,

Very interesting thread....I Recently bought a Weber Smokefire and it’s working out around £10 in pellets every low and slow smoke, eg 1/2 to 3/4 of a bag @ £17/ bag. 

After spending a fair amount on meat, I don’t want to scrimp and jam up the auger but at the same time I can’t help but think these other cheaper  pellets can’t be too dissimilar.

what are yours experiences with using othe pellets on your smokers folks?

Thanks, Richard 👍🏻

Sure is expensive to run the smokefire?  I suppose that is the compromise for convenience?  Shows the value of this tread though, excellent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabs said:

Thanks, I'm running low on Lil Devils and haven been using a drum smoker to bridge the gap!

Going to order 5 bags to tide me over. At £12.50 and free delivery it works out £1.25 / kilo which is a great price.

Ordered this morning and had a dispatch note for delivery Monday. Pretty good for free delivery.

5 hours ago, Justin said:

Sure is expensive to run the smokefire?  I suppose that is the compromise for convenience?  Shows the value of this tread though, excellent.

It is but at £1.25 kg no more expensive for fuel than good quality Restaurant Lump or Briquettes. Done 5 short cooks between 350-600F (60 mins to 3 hours) so far out of my last bag of pellets this week and got another short cook left. Charcoal represents better value for lo&slo long cooks, but firing up a chimney full of charcoal every time for 5 short cooks, pretty sure I would use close to a full bag of charcoal for that amount of cooks overall? 

Edited by sotv

Difficult to compare and it does not matter anyway, .  Mind you I usually  use half  a chimney for most of my cooks that is because i tend to do smaller dishes for 2 people of course and i tend to cook at medium heat on the kettle; if I need high then I used the vortex which use less briquettes.  No point doing a full chimney most of the time as it just carries on heating, I used 2/3rds the other day on medium and I was still cooking sausages, dogs, burgers and bread at a tailgate 3 hours later.  Am impressed with the smokefire cooks you fellas are doing, they sure look nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newbie , never had a pellet smoker. Ive just bought and taken delivery of a Pit Boss 1150, and purchase a selection of their pellets, including their charcoal pellets, competition blend, Hickory, and Apple. The are priced at £17.50 for 9kg, free delivery for orders over £50. I will give you a review after i have built the BBQ and I'm up and running. The supplier at BuffBBQ recommended a 50/50 mix of charcoal pellet and competition blend for doing a brisket.

https://buffbbq.com/collections/smoker-pellets-wood

7 hours ago, lumpydaz said:

I am a newbie , never had a pellet smoker. Ive just bought and taken delivery of a Pit Boss 1150, and purchase a selection of their pellets, including their charcoal pellets, competition blend, Hickory, and Apple. The are priced at £17.50 for 9kg, free delivery for orders over £50. I will give you a review after i have built the BBQ and I'm up and running. The supplier at BuffBBQ recommended a 50/50 mix of charcoal pellet and competition blend for doing a brisket.

https://buffbbq.com/collections/smoker-pellets-wood

Congrats on your purchase, I noticed this company pop up on my google searches, but couldn't see much about them except appear to be based in Cyprus. How did you find them as a company and delivery times as they do some good sauces and rubs

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:03 PM, sotv said:

Congrats on your purchase, I noticed this company pop up on my google searches, but couldn't see much about them except appear to be based in Cyprus. How did you find them as a company and delivery times as they do some good sauces and rubs

As a company they have been absolutely fantastic, great communications, and because i made a big order even threw in a couple of bags of pellets, a pizza stone and a cover.

• Like 1

Alfresco order arrived. Well packaged for delivery but the bags the pellets are in have ventilation holes - top and bottom. I store my bags in the garage, which can get damp, so I've transferred half the pellets straight into plastic tubs. The remaining two bags I've taped up to prevent moisture getting at 'em.

I figure this is due to EU regulation about choking hazards and plastic bags.

The US pellets I've used are in sealed bags which helps if you need to store them for long periods.

Anyway, not a show stopper and looking forward to giving them a go in the Yoder tomorrow. Got 6 racks of baby backs and all kinds of chicken and kebabs to get through.

IMG_20200819_155808.jpg

12 hours ago, Tabs said:

Alfresco order arrived. Well packaged for delivery but the bags the pellets are in have ventilation holes - top and bottom. I store my bags in the garage, which can get damp, so I've transferred half the pellets straight into plastic tubs. The remaining two bags I've taped up to prevent moisture getting at 'em.

I figure this is due to EU regulation about choking hazards and plastic bags.

The US pellets I've used are in sealed bags which helps if you need to store them for long periods.

Anyway, not a show stopper and looking forward to giving them a go in the Yoder tomorrow. Got 6 racks of baby backs and all kinds of chicken and kebabs to get through.

IMG_20200819_155808.jpg

I am lucky that I can store an order of 4 or 5 bags indoors, £50 is usually enough to get free delivery for pellets I use. But if those brands ever start offering larger quantities with a decent discount, the I will have to start looking at storage bins. But not really cost effective with UK prices at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to update this with results of the alfresco pellets. Happy to say they performed effortlessly and packed a lot of flavour. Only got a couple of pics of the ribs cooking but it shows the job in progress. Lovely colour and smoke ring when sliced.

IMG_20200830_121531.jpg

IMG_20200830_121539.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been buying A-Maze-N hickory wood pellets from BBQ Gourmet and pleased with the product however.....looking at the price from The American BBQ Company its seems that I have been paying over the odds. I note that Wade is happy with their product, which asks the question ... time to move??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, sotv said:

CookinPellets 18kg Perfect Mix Pellets currently £32.11 a bag at Amazon, usually around the £40 a bag mark for this amount, bought a bag to try as they always seem so well reviewed and meant to have no fillers, flavours or softwoods in them

Really pleased with these pellets, absolutely no dust in the bags I have ordered. Done a couple of cooks with them and great smoke flavour, 1 of the cooks was 10 hours in sub zero temperatures and the pellet grill and pellets remained rock solid at 270F for the full 10 hour cook. 

Bought 3 more bags at this price as they seem to work so well, certainly with my Smokefire

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:07 AM, Wade said:

The Uuni burns through pellets like they are going out of fashion. Don't buy expensive pellets as the high heat that they burn at they do not actually impart any distinct wood flavours.

Hi interesting thread, we have just ordered an outdoor pizza oven and I notice our cat pellets are 100% natural virgin wood with no additives, FSC certified are they usable for food grade? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 8:53 AM, sotv said:

CookinPellets 18kg Perfect Mix Pellets currently £32.11 a bag at Amazon, usually around the £40 a bag mark for this amount, bought a bag to try as they always seem so well reviewed and meant to have no fillers, flavours or softwoods in them

Back on offer £26.43 delivered and the Hickory for £33.38 gone through 3 bags of both types, the Hickory is my favourite though great flavour, but both worked well and very little dust