Rotisserie

Icefever

Just been on site they have 19 at Lemington Spa....tried to reserve but something is cockeyed on their site so will call over tomorrow.  Thanks, Steve saves messing about with fitting one to the Landmann....(mind you've cost me my pocket money for the next two months).   :yahoo::thumb1:?

On 7/29/2018 at 2:02 PM, Icefever said:

it doesn't fit on the top, as it drops through into the firebox.

I've found that that is what it's supposed to do as it's for the coals.  Read on the WWW that folks drill a load of holes in it....to help with the air flow. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 2:08 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

It’s a pretty much standard bit of kit.

Have you looked at the Jumbuck Rôtisserie they sell in Homebase? They are around the £60.00 mark, but should start seeing reductions before long.

Just ordered one for delivery, dropped to £40. Not got a Homebase near me but £3.95 delivery on top seems fair. looking forward to trying it out, link to Jumbuck

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Justin said:

Excellent. Rotisserie ribs?

Not sure about that. A chicken or 2 at first to practice then trying out one of those Kellybabs .

But if you can get a good bit of crackling on a piece of pork, I am sure that is what the wife will be requesting in the future.

Rolled meaty belly pork. Crackling to die for. Salt the scored skin first. Leave salt to work into the scores for 30 mins.  I like to add a bit of coarse going black pepper too. Maybe a bit if spice extra..  good luck. Chicken: I think can be more challenging to get an even temperature ie breast cooked lovely and legs cooked through. Have fun with it. I am doing buttermilk brained rotisserie on Sunday. Not a looker but lovely flavour. It is a 24 hr brine on Sat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Justin said:

Rolled meaty belly pork. Crackling to die for. Salt the scored skin first. Leave salt to work into the scores for 30 mins.  I like to add a bit of coarse going black pepper too. Maybe a bit if spice extra..  good luck. Chicken: I think can be more challenging to get an even temperature ie breast cooked lovely and legs cooked through. Have fun with it. I am doing buttermilk brained rotisserie on Sunday. Not a looker but lovely flavour. It is a 24 hr brine on Sat.

Pork Belly is a good shout and is something I am going to do this weekend on the ProQ (Pork Belly Burnt Ends).

I know what you are saying about the chicken, will keep it simple at first. I find the frozen chickens in the supermarket are good for BBQ'ing/smoking as they are already pre-brined the ones I get and I just add some light seasoning to it. They certainly seem to cook ok from past experience on other equipment. I know the cooked temp is 165F but I usually take mine up to 175F to be on the safe side and is still plenty juicy for our tastes.

52 minutes ago, sotv said:

I find the frozen chickens in the supermarket are good for BBQ'ing/smoking as they are already pre-brined the ones I get and I just add some light seasoning to it. They certainly seem to cook ok from past experience on other equipment. I know the cooked temp is 165F but I usually take mine up to 175F to be on the safe side and is still plenty juicy for our tastes.

Unless it states on the pack that there is added water and/or salt or is labelled "ready basted" then it is unlikely that your frozen chicken will have been pre-brined. This is more common with frozen turkey than with chicken. Are you specifically selecting pre-brined chickens? 

In chickens I have found that the process of brining has little significant effect on the final eating experience of the meat and that over cooking is usually cause of the meat seeming dryer. With turkeys though (being a larger bird) the brining does seem to make a difference, though most of this seems to be more down to the additional flavours that are introduced in the brine.

165-175 F (74-80 C) is a good range to aim at. Even after you take your chicken out at 74 C the internal temperature will continue to rise a couple of degrees as the temperature eqilibrates during the meat rest period - so I aim for the lower end of this range. Following the meat pasteurisation tables (important in sous vide cooking) the chicken is technically safe to eat at 60-65 C - but the appearance and texture at the lower temperature can result in it being unappetising for some people. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wade said:

Unless it states on the pack that there is added water and/or salt or is labelled "ready basted" then it is unlikely that your frozen chicken will have been pre-brined. This is more common with frozen turkey than with chicken. Are you specifically selecting pre-brined chickens? 

In chickens I have found that the process of brining has little significant effect on the final eating experience of the meat and that over cooking is usually cause of the meat seeming dryer. With turkeys though (being a larger bird) the brining does seem to make a difference, though most of this seems to be more down to the additional flavours that are introduced in the brine.

165-175 F (74-80 C) is a good range to aim at. Even after you take your chicken out at 74 C the internal temperature will continue to rise a couple of degrees as the temperature eqilibrates during the meat rest period - so I aim for the lower end of this range. Following the meat pasteurisation tables (important in sous vide cooking) the chicken is technically safe to eat at 60-65 C - but the appearance and texture at the lower temperature can result in it being unappetising for some people. 

Morrisons did pre-brined frozen chickens but noticed had reduced to £1 last month. Picked a couple up, but used them up the other weekend. At that price would imagine they were being discontinued (as can't find any on their sire now). Although our store still had a few in the freezer last week.

I have also used Morrisons Extra Tasty chickens (Fresh) which state are  brined on the packaging along with my favourite  unfrozen one a pre brined  one from Waitrose. I enjoy the frozen ones the most as they aren't already pre-flavoured, like the fresh ones. But getting harder to find. (both these chickens can be found on their website, with ingredients and amount of brine in the chicken in description

it is a convenience thing for me as not really got the space to store a brining chicken/turkey in my fridge. So a pre-done one is ideal for me.

Rotisserie chicken will be new to me, so would imagine a whole unbrined chicken, will work well. I am used to low and slow and brined just seemed better than unbrined chicken with this method, for my tastes..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade said:

Following the meat pasteurisation tables (important in sous vide cooking) the chicken is technically safe to eat at 60-65 C - but the appearance and texture at the lower temperature can result in it being unappetising for some people. 

In case people are interested, here is the pasteurisation table for chicken. The temperatures refer to internal meat temperatures.

As you can see the time required once you get above 162 F (72 C) is <10 seconds (virtually instantaneous) - which has resulted in our current Food Safety minimum cooking temperatures. However If it only reaches 152 F (67 C) it is still safe after only 90 seconds at that temperature. 

image.thumb.png.610e2f40efd26c6cf20ec4eae3952635.png

At the Sous Vide temperatures of 62 C (144 F) the chicken only needs to remain at that temperature for ~12 minutes in the centre. The longer times specified in the Sous Vide guidelines are to allow the centre of the meat to reach that temperature and then for it to provide the desired meat texture.

image.thumb.png.6d9f59ab4907c3ee531aab10ed0f32a7.png

We christened the spit roast with a chicken last night...took longer than we thought, and the "thumbscrews" on the spit kept coming loose.  In the end, I took a pair of pliers to both of them and thrashed them to within an inch of their lives.  ?

Ice.

20180801_154501.jpg

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 1

Since using the spit roast my mind is ticking over about how to improve it.  I used a rack from the old gas bbq to stack the coals on to try and help the airflow, the solid plate does nothing to aid this. The spit has a vent at both ends which is good, but then the flow of air as only the gap at each end instead of being able to blow through the fire.  A better idea would be to use a grating for the coals, letting the ash drop through on to the plate to help with collection and cleaning.

Another addition will be a back & sides to help keep the heat around the meat. We will be using it this weekend for a  leg of lamb among other meats as we have a family "do" on Sat.

Ice.