Homemade smoker..

Message added by Smokin Monkey,

No2

I've built a small smoker as I get miffed having to get the ProQ down of the rack and set it up, so I've used an old kitchen wall unit that a friend had given me a while back when he re-done his kitchen.

It can sit by the garage door, it's not in the way....I may have to fit a small PC fan just to help the burn, will find out in about 3 days when the bacon is dry....👍.

IMG_20201107_110011916.thumb.jpg.9f54f4e2860186a52f4cf97e7315cb08.jpg

IMG_20201107_110038458.thumb.jpg.094a3462dc3b0de06cdec3da4000acb6.jpg

Ice.

• Like 3

I think I will be selling her on. Someone has offered 5g's more than I

paid and I love buying cars. There is a 15 plate VXR8 for grabs £34 G

Chevy 6ltr LS3 motor with a twin screw blower on it. Its called The

Bathhurst Edition one of 100 made 780BHP of naughtiness and tyre

melt, but it's still a bloody Vauxhall?? Does that mean I have become

a badge snob ?:lurk:

• 3 months later...

Just started off some Haddock fillets and got to thinking about this cabinet I'm using. Every time I want to check the smoke generator I open the door and let a load of smoke out....I know it's not rocket science 🤣....so I need a tray fixed at the bottom so as not to disturb the flow of smoke.

I'm now thinking about making a shallow section to add under the cabinet which will hold the tray for the CSG.

Ice.

I have built a cold smoker and like you was constantly checking but I have learned to have faith, I have a fan so I can see the smoke coming out but also know how to balance the fan speed and air inlet to ensure smoke levels in the smoker. I have a side of salmon on the go at the moment and haven’t looked once yet in 10 hours, just about to replenish the smoke maze so that is the first chance to look at it, I hope it is ok 🤞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ripple said:

I have built a cold smoker and like you was constantly checking but I have learned to have faith, I have a fan so I can see the smoke coming out but also know how to balance the fan speed and air inlet to ensure smoke levels in the smoker. I have a side of salmon on the go at the moment and haven’t looked once yet in 10 hours, just about to replenish the smoke maze so that is the first chance to look at it, I hope it is ok 🤞

"Patience is a virtue " they say.... I just like to keep an eye on things. 😉 I do have a small pc fan that I may fit..it's finding the time.  Hope the salmon comes out ok...we do like photos of what's going on. 👍.

Ice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sat sitting last Sat ;)  and I was surfing the net on cold smokers, thought about buying the ProQ one.  Then when I see the size of it, it turns out slighty smaller than my home made ons...😲...so back to the drawing board.

I remembered that I had the base unit to the wall unit that I'd used to make a cold smoker.  The unit was not being used so I cut it back so that it was the same size, sitting the smoker on top I only had to cut out enough of the floor of it as the base only has two strip of wood on top...finnished up with a smoker big enough for at the mo...

IMG_20210321_103720675.thumb.jpg.6091b2e1fe03c496d2646eac8488c3cd.jpg       IMG_20210321_103626942.thumb.jpg.e2a385bc1d5c250821288699a42b636c.jpg

I set it up last weekend to smoke the latest slab of bacon, watching it for a while I wasn't too happy with the amount of smoke coming off the CSG. I thought it's too "lazy" I know the dust was dry it had been in the microwave for around 4 mins. I stuck with it but I thought I need more smoke....so this morning I've been in the garage knocking up a bigger smoke gen.......

Behold the "IceSmoker"......Mk 1....

IMG_20210321_103250063.thumb.jpg.85341e028591496583ffedd85955d5bc.jpg          IMG_20210321_103309408.thumb.jpg.280a39bc097be3e6cf38de80e60fdece.jpg

The Pump I had from my homebrew days....all the pipe fittings were in the junk box....the tin held the panettone that we had at Chrimbo....so all in all...brill....and did a test burn/run and it made all the smoke I think I'll need.

Ice.

• Like 4

Popped into Bookers yesterday and picked up a large pork shoulder, I make the odd sausage or two, but seem to stay with the basic recipes for UK type. I like the Polish type also so I'm going to make some over the next few days.

Now it comes to the hot smoke...I could do them in the ProQ,  but I intend to do enough in one go to last us for a while.  The ProQ is not that big for a large load of hanging sausages...it's only so big...so I'm now thinking about running the cold smoker as a hot one??.

As long as the fire is controlled it should be safe??  it wont need a full chimney like the ProQ ;),  a small burn in a metal bucket on a coulpe of bricks, or use the small camping gas stove if it fits in along with the big smoker may well done a great job....not worried about trying it,  the smoker is next to a tap....👍.

I'm going to size the gas stove later and pop a temp probe at the top vent to see what range of temps there are....work in progress...watch this space..if you see a cloud of smoke you'll know it's gone tits up...🤣🤣.

Ice.

I've been having a play with the cabinet ;)...the gas stove is made to measure....Lady Luck is watching over me.

IMG_20210327_091735306.thumb.jpg.3c340da8c155f9a2ef114777a499c03a.jpg

Started off with the gas valve set at half way..with the top vent closed..that gave me a temp range of 72c/80c...

IMG_20210327_092231135.thumb.jpg.ccd0a91b8ca23db722839044a17b1a04.jpg

With the gas turned down to 1/4, realy low & the top vent open the temp settled at a steady 55c.

IMG_20210327_093637682.thumb.jpg.f49b84c54daad2d13127dcbd04acfdff.jpg

Looks like this homemade smoker is working out just fine....both cold & hot...cold smoking tomorrow doing another 4 haddock fillets.

I have some thin tin sheets that I could cut and fit around the gas stove if I think it needs it...just to be on the safe side??....I did check the lower sides  of the cabinet and all seemed ok.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...