18" versus 22", what are the pros & cons please

Walt

I've been looking at various bullet smokers as a first bbq grill and wondered what the differences were between the different grill sizes. 

Specifically I had seen the Fornetto Razzo, WSM, ProQ.  Is one size easier to maintain temperature?

What is the difference in cooking on the various shelves?  Is it easier to cook meat if all  on the same rack vs  on separate racks?

I was leaning towards the 18 inch Razzo, but would appreciate your comments.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

The Razzo is a nicely finished piece of equipment. I have the 22" it's fine in the summer for maintaining heat, but can be a bit challenging in the winter with low temps & drafts to fight against. Personally I use the ProQ which is 18" more often. The Razzo has masses of space, so if you cook big then it's great  In my book an 18" Razzo won't disappoint unless you cook on a large scale.

Cheers n Gone Nick

Ok in the same vein, if I cook with all 3 rings and only use the top shelf on my Napoleon 200, is there a heat difference if the internal chamber is smaller? i.e remove middle ring and just use firebowl, waterpan and grill shelf (2 rings) as opposed to 2 x grill shelves (3 rings)?  Logic says that the smaller the chamber, the less time it will take to reach temp, but not sure on actual burn time being affected.  If that makes sense

Many thanks for your opinions.  Thanks too to the person who posted about the Razzo being on sale on eBay.  The 18" for £185 and the 22" for £225 (plus shipping).  I'll probably go for the 18 incher, but the larger model for £225 sounds like a great buy.

I also like the idea of smoking some trout using the hooks in the lid.  Need to catch the fish rather than relying on Morrison's!

Thanks again! 

Edited by Walt

21 hours ago, Walt said:

I also like the idea of smoking some trout using the hooks in the lid.  Need to catch the fish rather than relying on Morrison's!

Easy to do and they taste even better if you have caught them yourself :thumb1:

Thank you Wade for the link to your tutorial on trout prep and cooking.  I hope to take a day trip to Bewl Water before to long.  Trouble is that I'm a newbie at fly fishing and have only caught one trout so far!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:17 AM, Walt said:

Many thanks for your opinions.  Thanks too to the person who posted about the Razzo being on sale on eBay.  The 18" for £185 and the 22" for £225 (plus shipping).  I'll probably go for the 18 incher, but the larger model for £225 sounds like a great buy.

Thanks again! 

Hello Walt - I just joined today. Was curious if you went for the 22" Razzo? I took delivery of mine a few days ago. The thing is a monster - also got it from Ebay at the price you mentioned. Am VERY impressed with the quality. Reminds me of my old Webber kettle when I got it new 15 years ago, very heavy guage enameled steel & nice thick solid stainless baskets. I just need to get a few more cooks under my belt to get the thing dialled in properly. Will be doing some ribs this weekend 🙂

• Like 2

Hi Captain and all,  My dog loves your name!  Actually, I  did buy the 18 incher and have cooked some beef, chicken thighs, spare ribs and lamb shoulder.  I'm glad you bought yours on eBay. 

In some ways I would like the 22".  Has anyone cooked ribs in the Razzo baskets?  I'm thinking I'd need to use those baskets if I invited people over.  Would I have  to move the ribs around from grate to basket for even cooking? 

I think you will need half the neighbourhood around if you used the baskets, they can hold a huge amount, even the 18 inch ones..! 

I think I know what you mean, looking for an excuse to use them myself but I need to get better at charcoal management as I struggle to keep it going longer than an hour and a half.