The Ultimate Onions

Skagg2000

So I was watching sumat on TV last night which had John Torode BBQ'ing stuff at home in Aus with his family. 

He mentioned that the best way to cook onions was by marinading them in pineapple juice first. The juice releases enzymes that soften the onion & release the sugars resulting in gorgeous fried onions on the plancha.

Anyone tried this? Sounds nice. I'll be giving it a go as I love onions.

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers n Gone Nick

I'm sure we've seen this video....I love really slow cooked onions, try cooking them for about 20 mins or so.....pineapple juice in cooking as been around for a long time, many years back I watched a chef inject the juice into a joint of pork to cook it..

Ice.

4 hours ago, Icefever said:

I'm sure we've seen this video....I love really slow cooked onions, try cooking them for about 20 mins or so.....pineapple juice in cooking as been around for a long time, many years back I watched a chef inject the juice into a joint of pork to cook it..

Ice.

Guga has done a few videos using pineapple to tenderise various steaks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tedmus said:

Guga has done a few videos using pineapple to tenderise various steaks.

Need to be careful with fresh pineapple or juice in a marinade, as the enzymes in it can start dissolving the meat after 3-4 hours and you can end up with just a meaty mush, if left overnight.