Sterilising Jars

sotv

Wondering the best way to sterilise kilner jars. I know there are some home brewers on here, who know the best way and what products to use. 

I am looking to render some pigs kidney fat to make some of my own tallow and if successful look at using some chicken skin to make some schmaltz. 

When we sterilise our jars for jams &b chutney we stand the jars in a deep dish, pour boiling water over them & lids/rubber rings.  I use a bbq mitt to handle the jars,  swill the jars and tip the water over all of the others. Stand the jars on a baking tray..do not dry the jars with a towel leave them wet.  Set the oven 200c, pop in the tray of jars (no lids leave them in the hot water...)  leave jars until they are dry about 20 mins.

This is how we do our jars, kilner are much the same.

Ice.

• Like 2

In order to truly sterilise the jars you need to get them up to about 115 C. Boiling water at 100 C does not kill all spore and can be hazardous. Also, depending on how big your pan is, it can mean only doing a few jars at a time.

The most effective way of sterilising jars is to wash them thoroughly then place them on a baking tray in the oven set at ~120 C with the lids LOOSELY rested on the top. Leave them in the oven for 30 minutes then let them cool. Once cool enough to handle you can then start to fill them. Leave any unused jars in the oven to cool down and then you can tighten the lids fully and they will stay sterile for use next time. Depending on your size of oven, this way you can sterilise 20-30 jars at a time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justin said:

Rinse and then starsan no rinse spray

I do have a bottle of Starsan that I mix and spray everthing when brewing,  I know it's a food grade steriliser but not sure if it would work on jars for bottling chutneys/jams??? that you want to keep over time?? worth looking into thou.

Ice.

23 hours ago, Icefever said:

Found this link..........

https://youtu.be/xaoOlEB3aio

Ice.

The video is a good guide but there are some things to bear in mind

There are several types of Kilner jar - one with the big rubber seal and the other with the two part screw lid - round metal cover and a screw top. The ones with the big rubber seal are more heat sensitive than the ones with the screw lid. The screw lid jars are designed to be used in pressure canners (pressure cookers / retorts) and will happily reach temperatures up to 115-120 C. The ones with the rubber seals will not - the rubber seals anyway.

Simply boiling the rubber seals would not have sterilised them - though we have to consider the relative risk of what was likely to be on the rubber and what she was preserving..

She is making chutney - which by its very nature is acidic, is high in sugar and has a low water activity. This itself will act to preserve the mix and inhibit spore growth.

She did not mention anything about sterilising the transfer jug or the ladle. Again not a problem in this case - but if she was preserving a low acidity, low in sugar and high in water food (e.g. Salmon or vegetables) then this is more likely to be a problem for long term storage.

For low acidity foods I always sterilise in my pressure canner but for things like chutney or jams I just use the oven method.

120 C for 30 minutes is sufficient to sterilise but 160 C for a shorter time will also do the job but will be more harmful to the jar seals.

• Like 1