Help!!

DeanH

So I've got my grill setup indirectly with a 1.5kg pork shoulder. I think I overdone it with the first lot of fuel and I'm struggling to keep the temp below 300f without wedging the lid open. 

Will I just need to wait until the first lot dies down and top it up with small amounts to keep it going? 

Also, I know the magic number is 225f but the meat will adventualy cook and still be edible won't it? 

It's not a dedicated smoker but I'll send some pics. I started by just adding some lit coals on top of a small amount of unlit as I done have the space for the snake method. It's calmed down now and I'm managing to keep it at approx 230f.

15873086921902714293509891110189.jpg

15873087511253969725250633868888.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeanH said:

OK so now my meat probe is dropping in temp. Is this the 'stall'? 

Depends on the cooker temp, has it dropped

4 hours ago, DeanH said:

Also, I know the magic number is 225f but the meat will adventualy cook and still be edible won't it

Don't stress too much about temps, 225 is low and will take a long time, anything from 225- 350 is fine

35 minutes ago, Mick said:

Depends on the cooker temp, has it dropped

Don't stress too much about temps, 225 is low and will take a long time, anything from 225- 350 is fine

I agree with this!

I aim for 225 but sometimes it overshot to about 260 when I first started out....now i would just leave it at that temp and it still comes out great. Treat it as a guideline rather than an absolute. Practice certainly helps and you will get better, especially after you get familiar with how your grill behaves👍

• Like 2