Offset smoker

Lordlarry2510

Hi new to the group don’t yet have a smoker. 
I’ve been looking at the offset smoker just for the fact I can use it as a grill when The mood takes. 
what’s everyone thoughts on which offset are good and any info on any deals just now would be good along with any general advice. 

I have been watching YouTube for the last 2 days looking at the upgrades that will be needed to make any affordable £300-400 useable 

thanks Larry 

an offset is a great smoker. you could look at a kettle also as you can do some decent long low and slow smokes and use to grill. I haven't used an offset so can't fully advise but i'm sure someone else will be along soon that has/can. 
I've started with a bullet smoker as it can be a great place to learn but it all comes down to budget and what kind of cooks you ant to do and amount of food. 

Plenty of good advice on the forum if you've got time to search. 

• Like 1

Hi Larry,

I use Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn (2 years already) and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a bit on the pricier side considering your budget (currently it's about $450 on official website), still it's a decent unit. I use it quite often, especially during the weekend, and I find it really meditating - firing it, stocking and relaxing with a beer around it. It's quite heavy, all steel, wide and the cooking area is big: like, it makes really good food and it's what got me addicted to BBQ. 

But need to mention, It is my first smoker, so take this will that grain of salt. Ofc I read some reviews before pulling the trigger, the price was right for me and I must admit - I'm still learning to use it (it's not just a hobby or cooking method now, it's an addiction according to my wife).

Good luck choosing!

Edited by saltandpepper

5 hours ago, saltandpepper said:

Hi Larry,

I use Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn (2 years already) and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a bit on the pricier side considering your budget (currently it's about $450 on official website), still it's a decent unit. I use it quite often, especially during the weekend, and I find it really meditating - firing it, stocking and relaxing with a beer around it. It's quite heavy, all steel, wide and the cooking area is big: like, it makes really good food and it's what got me addicted to BBQ. 

But need to mention, It is my first smoker, so take this will that grain of salt. Ofc I read some reviews before pulling the trigger, the price was right for me and I must admit - I'm still learning to use it (it's not just a hobby or cooking method now, it's an addiction according to my wife).

Good luck choosing!

Thanks for the reply have you made any modifications to your smoker? And if so which ones have you done?

I have been looking at the highland which is showing about £440 in the uk websites just now. Also looking at the chargriller.

thanks Larry 

Edited by Lordlarry2510

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

If you are in looking for affordable offset smoker, then this review might be an ideal suggestion for you. Also I think a lot depends on where you live. I’ve had one mine for 2-3 years now and love it for a budget option. I will say that I am very diligent about cleaning out the ashes within 24-48 hours of every cook, and this has kept my firebox in great shape on the inside and prevented rust issues.

Edited by janetimps

• 1 month later...

I Just finished my first offset smoker build, and thought I'd share some pics. Body made from 1/4" pipe and plate, 3mm box section for the stand, and cast iron wheels off from amazon. Link was on this site

https://houseandbeyond.org/best-charcoal-smoker/

Was putting it together for a significant birthday party (my own), and of course didn't start early enough, so it ended up a complete rush job at the end. I tigged the whole thing out, which took me absolutely ages - I really ought to learn to stick weld!

Still have a snagging list to work through now the time pressure is off, but am pretty happy with the end results of the build and the smoking seemed to be a big success (beginners luck I'm sure).

20180616_150423.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, janyfer said:

I Just finished my first offset smoker build, and thought I'd share some pics. Body made from 1/4" pipe and plate, 3mm box section for the stand, and cast iron wheels off from amazon. Link was on this site

https://houseandbeyond.org/best-charcoal-smoker/

Was putting it together for a significant birthday party (my own), and of course didn't start early enough, so it ended up a complete rush job at the end. I tigged the whole thing out, which took me absolutely ages - I really ought to learn to stick weld!

Still have a snagging list to work through now the time pressure is off, but am pretty happy with the end results of the build and the smoking seemed to be a big success (beginners luck I'm sure).

20180616_150423.jpg

Looks good! Nothin wrong with tig welding👍