Todays Rant.

Icefever

Why o why is there so much wrong or misinformation on the web?? We all know about the fake news items over the last 3 years with Brexit and the GE....but I'm on about when we look at the www for how to do a certain thing, make or build whatever you're looking for.

I enjoy surfing the net while having a cuppa at 0400 most mornings, let my mouse have its own way and I've come across loads of interesting articles to read, vids to watch.  I intend to make a basic farm/cottage cheese tomorrow so that I can make a Boursin Garlic and Herbs type cheese, then with the whey I want to make a sweet Ricotta cheese for dessert.

Now comes the RANT for today.....I see a clip of a vid for ricotta that says "make my grans secret ricotta"  so I'm thinking wow, that'll do for me Tommy...
The video then shows a lady take milk, lemon juice, boil it,  drain it, and then says triumphantly that she has made Ricotta....t1949.gif....NO YOU FRECKING WELL HAVE NOT..t1949.gif..sorry guys didn't mean to shout so loud.
You've made farmhouse/cottage cheese, to be precise, ricotta cheese is not a cheese, but a cheese by-product or dairy product, because of the process by which it is made. It is, however, dealt with as a cheese.  The word Ricotta (literally meaning "recooked") from Latin.

Rant over I'm ok now...time for another cuppa..

Ice. t2025.gif

• Like 1

Oh goody, it's pissing down again, and another storm on us already. What will we ever do with all this water,   garden hosepipe ban in two weeks no doubt??
Just had a look at long-range for March, the first week slightly better than this, but week 2 and 3 looking a lot sunnier....it will take some time to dry the ground, fingers crossed for the start of the year's events..

Ice. 🤞🤞🤞 that's everyting I've got crossed now...😉

• Like 1

We couldn't find the mains charger for a spare laptop we have, after hunting in all the places it could/should be I gave up and surfed for a new one. I found a small number of sites selling the correct item, one site came up with a good price so checked it out to find that it was coming from China. 👿

Not wanting to wait maybe 2/3 weeks decided not to buy from them. Found another site which to all intents and purposes looked UK based, searched the site top to bottom there were no telltale signs that it was not. I decided to buy from them and using Paypal did the transaction, only to find out from an email sometime later that the item was indeed in China...t0105.gif

I am so pissed falling for buying it and will now have to wait for God knows how long for delivery, I need to find out if there's a way of checking if what looks like a UK site is what it says it is?

Update....used a site called......... http://lookwhois.net/ ....gets stanger shows the site is owned by   The Endurance International Group, Inc. Massachusetts US.

The email showed  "You sent a payment to 深圳聚元科技有限公司"  so WTF ???

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

Most items like chargers and leads are made in China. Wherever you brought it, it would end up coming from there. 

I agree Simon that most of what we buy comes from the East....but we do have UK sites that stock the item your after and deliver in 2/3 working days.

19 minutes ago, Justin said:

It is not even Tuesday yet...

No it's Monday....so it's an early start to the rant day..  😁

Ice.

Short Rant! It’s National Pie Week, a Pie is not a casserole with a Pastry Top through on by a fancy TV Chef, no, a Pie has a Pastry Top and Pastry encasing it’s contents.

Rant Over!

PS, look out for my National Pie Week Video Tomorrow! #nationalpieweek #memorycook

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dutchy said:

a Pie is not a casserole with a Pastry Top through on by a fancy TV Chef,

You are spot on dude..👍..some of the cooking info, along with DIY info on the www is so wrong. My gripe of late is the number of folks telling you to make Ricotta cheese with milk...no no no...it's made from whey....rant over. 😎.

Ice.

• Like 1