Today's Breakfast

sotv

Just had a great bacon sarnie, from my latest batch of bacon. Tried a couple of different things with this one. Added a couple of bay leaves, to my usual salt, sugar and tellicherry pepper cure. The bayleaves added a hint of the flavour to the finished meat. 

I normally look for more meat than fat on the pork belly, but chose a much fattier one than I normally get for this one , what a difference with the finished flavour after cooking. Going to change the type of cut I get in future,, the higher fat content has way more flavour than the meat after cooking I found.

Also sliced these with a knife and probably at least twice as thick as what I would do with a slicer, cooked a lot better and a proper mouthful each bite 😄

IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.c75e57dede1b3bf8ad12df368ec3e0da.JPG

IMG_0150.thumb.JPG.44eb95fa17740e663c1f597bad10ba77.JPG

The fat in the pan is just what came off the bacon, no oil added before started cooking, couple of lovely bacon fat crispy pieces of fried bread afterwards.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Simon said:

That sounds great. The bay leaves sound a great idea, I will try that on my next batch.

I’ve done two lots with loin and one with belly, and found the belly a bit tough. Have you noticed that at all or had I just got a bad cut for the belly?

I wouldn't say I have ever found it tough, maybe a bit more chewy than back bacon, but more flavour I find than back. This one cut thicker and with a bit more fat, than normal, rendered whilst cooking and was very melt in mouth. Obviously you got to like a bit of fat though. 😀

• Like 1