Slicer

Mick

So after making a whole loin and whole belly into bacon I had the problem of slicing it. Looked on eBay and was one 10 miles away £110 or best offer I offered a cheeky £50 and he accepted, took it apart and a good clean working perfectly, quite pleased with myself

15780603334467981950764331270282.jpg

15780603816355346778995074442318.jpg

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Simon said:

You’re lucky there Mick. I had a look at prices and they are high. I was thinking of maybe getting a really good carving knife. 

Looks great Mick, looks like you got a good deal there

Simon I have switched to a decent 10" carving knife, I bought to replace my cheap slicer, that wasn't very good. Very sharp, easy to use and I can cut pretty even slices. Has done a great job on slicing salmon and bacon as well as the usual Sunday Joint type things. Even for a lefty like me.

Cost me just over £50 but money well spent I feel, I don't trust myself to slice the last inch of a bacon joint though, with such a sharp knife, so chop that up into small cubes for a bacon and leek pie or throw in with some pasta. Otherwise the rest of it is in pretty uniform slices. I am so pleased with it, I have bought a leather knife roll bag  and another 4 knives since  for other types of cutting and prep work and looking to add another 2-3 in the coming months. Decent sharp knives make such a difference.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, sotv said:

Looks great Mick, looks like you got a good deal there

Simon I have switched to a decent 10" carving knife, I bought to replace my cheap slicer, that wasn't very good. Very sharp, easy to use and I can cut pretty even slices. Has done a great job on slicing salmon and bacon as well as the usual Sunday Joint type things. Even for a lefty like me.

Cost me just over £50 but money well spent I feel, I don't trust myself to slice the last inch of a bacon joint though, with such a sharp knife, so chop that up into small cubes for a bacon and leek pie or throw in with some pasta. Otherwise the rest of it is in pretty uniform slices. I am so pleased with it, I have bought a leather knife roll bag  and another 4 knives since  for other types of cutting and prep work and looking to add another 2-3 in the coming months. Decent sharp knives make such a difference.

Fantastic advice. Thanks a lot. I’ll start looking around for a decent knife. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Icefever said:

Well done there Mick...good start to 2020...👍  I have the same type/model works a treat but I've posted about how it forms a "roll" of skin over time at the lower side, you have to stop take a knife and trim. 

Ice

Yes same problem, every piece, the belly pieces were worse but the rogue pieces made a love sandwich

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dendrobatty said:

I have an Andrew James one and experience the same annoying skin tag as Ice. £50 is a great price Mick, I am rubbish at cheeky offers!

I am the same lol, it's easy on eBay though as you are incognito😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Fantastic advice. Thanks a lot. I’ll start looking around for a decent knife. 

From my experience if you just do shortback (loin) a decent 6-8 inch carving or slicing knife will do, but if like me you like streaky a 10-12  inch knife would be a better choice

Edited by sotv
  • Like 3