Air drying in cellar

Jacqui

Hi All,

fridge space is getting tight and was wanting to take advantage of the cellar for hanging some joints to dry/mature.  What would be the minimum I could get away with temp wise and still be safe?   I have a spot that's right next to the airing bricks coming in from the carport and there is good airflow there but not sure what is the temp would be suitable after cold smoking.

regards

Jacqui

On 11/18/2019 at 3:22 PM, Jacqui said:

I have a spot that's right next to the airing bricks coming in from the carport 

It's great to have a cellar,   but my one thought is the air brick coming from the carport??? ok if not used to park the car?? but if you do.. what about fumes finding their way in?? it's just me being carfull.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

thanks Ice.  we do use the carport but for some reason the previous owners made it ridiculously long and narrow so the car is probably 3mts back from the air brick but I will need to check this before it use it.  So if I cure same as I have been (just switching up to Wade'c calculator) the temp at 10 degrees celcius or lower is ok to hang the meat?  If so, would 2wks be too long?  I'd like to have a few experiments to find out what process we prefer between cures, smoking and aging.

Only the temp as been mentioned so far,  what about humidity in the cellar?   a hygrometer gauge would be handy & accurate that way you will know for sure.
Have you thought about using a fridge down in the cellar??  a lot smaller space to control both temp & humidity?? an old working fridge,  or suggest to your better half that you need a new fridge in the kitchen, 😉  (that's what my wife does).... then the older one can be used?? 🤣 

3 hours ago, Jacqui said:

If so, would 2wks be too long? 

Just in the cellar I'm not sure and wouldn't like to say,  there's other points to think about, air flow over the meat and such......I'll leave that quection open to @Wade

Ice.

ordering the hygrometer to get humidity.  not too bad down there, not wet but not dry either.  material will get damp after a month or so.  cant squeeze another fridge in, already got two freezers as I buy all my meat as whole animals.  it was the best way to get really nice quality meat at overall decent price and also means we've had to learn how to use the cuts that are tougher harder to get.  Lucky for me, the other buyers don't want their extras so the farmer always organizes for me to get extra trotters, jowls and offal...last year the kids were freaked cause we got 3 pcs of head ...

3 hours ago, Jacqui said:

.last year the kids were freaked cause we got 3 pcs of head ...

m01100.gif  Welcome to Halloween..🤣.. we also buy meat in bulk to save money...2 upright and 1 chest freezer in the garage....plus 3 larder fridges. I also have an old fridge for my home brewing.

ice.

17 hours ago, Jacqui said:

ordering the hygrometer to get humidity.  not too bad down there, not wet but not dry either.  material will get damp after a month or so.  

You are looking for a temperature between 10-15 C and a himidity of between 60%-80%. The more constant you can make it the better.

21 hours ago, Jacqui said:

thanks Ice.  we do use the carport but for some reason the previous owners made it ridiculously long and narrow so the car is probably 3mts back from the air brick but I will need to check this before it use it.  So if I cure same as I have been (just switching up to Wade'c calculator) the temp at 10 degrees celcius or lower is ok to hang the meat?  If so, would 2wks be too long?  I'd like to have a few experiments to find out what process we prefer between cures, smoking and aging.

When you are air drying it is not the time that is important but the weight loss. You are looking for a reduction in weight of about 30%. This will obviously take longer or shorter period depending on the different temperatures and humidities. It is likely that you will get some mould starting to grow while it is hanging - If so, simply spray the mould with some diluted white wine vinegar (50:50 with water), leave for a few minutes before wiping off.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

we do utilize the parking space yet for reasons unknown the past proprietors made it absurdly long and tight so the vehicle is most likely 3mts back from the air block however I should check this before it use it. So in the event that I fix same as I have been (simply exchanging up to Wade'c adding machine) the temp at 10 degrees celcius or lower is alright to hang the meat? Provided that this is true, would 2wks be excessively long? I'd prefer to have a couple of examinations to discover what process we favor between fixes, smoking and maturing.

Edited by Smokin Monkey
Admin edit to remove external links

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 8:03 PM, shanta said:

would 2wks be excessively long? I'd prefer to have a couple of examinations to discover what process we favor between fixes, smoking and maturing.

They will take longer than a couple of week and the time will depend on the size of the meat being cured and the humidity in the cellar. To know when they are ready you need to first weigh the meat and then weigh it periodically until it has lost 30% of its initial weight. This is likely to take a month or two, dependant on the cellar conditions.