Greetings from the West Midlands

Simon.W

Hello Everyone, 

Just thought i'd post here to introduce myself.  I'm an IT consultant by trade and an avid cook by hobby.  

Due to space constraints, i'm doing a lot of grilling/"sort-of-smoking" on my kettle BBQ with the aim to upgrade to a decent size offset-style smoker when the space allows (hopefully in the first part of the new year!).

I'm currently leaning towards some sort of pellet style smoker (the Yoder YS640s has really caught my eye) as they seem to blend my love of fire with my love of gadgetry, although i'm open to opinions and advice on this.

Any hint, tips and wisdom are most welcome.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by Simon.W
Additional Info

Welcome Simon. You could stick with the kettle. It is very versatile. Have you tried minion method for smoking. There are some good methods for cold smoking on it too. 

Some put a smartfire on them too to make them really easy to dial temps I to f9r super long cooks. Personally I can easily get a 18hour cook at low twm0s with a minion method using a little knowledge. 

Lots on the forum. Here to help you with this

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hoogl said:

Hi Simon, :welcome:. I haven't used either an offset or pellet but have a look around the forum as there is some good info on both. 

Also feel free to post pics of any cooks you are doing the now. We like those 😊

I'll be sure to take some photos of the next cook - I always remember to take a photos about 30 seconds after evereything has been devoured 😁

20 hours ago, Simon said:

Hi Simon welcome to the group. Don’t worry about only using the Kettle. It’s all I use and have had some great cooks from it. 

Ol' reliable has certainly produced some good results for me 👍

14 hours ago, Icefever said:

Welcome to Simon W to the forum,  where about do you live ??..as there is a tailgate meeting for the Midlands next year, maybe you could attend??????

Ice.

I live near Worcester.  Where abouts is the tailgate meeting?

12 hours ago, Justin said:

Welcome Simon. You could stick with the kettle. It is very versatile. Have you tried minion method for smoking. There are some good methods for cold smoking on it too. 

Some put a smartfire on them too to make them really easy to dial temps I to f9r super long cooks. Personally I can easily get a 18hour cook at low twm0s with a minion method using a little knowledge. 

Lots on the forum. Here to help you with this

I knew joining a forum like this would be a good idea as I've already learned something.  Do you have any web links on the minion method as I've actually never heard of it - but it does sound very interesting.

1 hour ago, Simon.W said:

I live near Worcester.  Where abouts is the tailgate meeting?

Not far from us...we're near Warwick...you have the details above for the 1st Midlands Tailgate.  It's just a get together of like minded folks,  setup on the Friday,  then Sat we all cook whatever you wish,  then aim for around 5/6pm we set out all of the dishes and get stuck in.  With a few beers and sit a chew the fat...then Sun morning we cook up bacon butties and maybe sausages & eggs....then head off home when ever you want to.

Ice.

7 hours ago, Simon.W said:

I'll be sure to take some photos of the next cook - I always remember to take a photos about 30 seconds after evereything has been devoured 😁

That's why I favour the reverse sear for steak. The rest is done mid cook then I can stuff my face as soon as it's seared. 

There's plenty of good info on the site it helps to complement the YT videos I spend way too long watching. Plus you get a nice wee community. 

• Like 1