My first brisket cook!

ExclusiveBBQ

Hi all, 

As you might have seen from other topics I've posted, I had planned to do my first packer cut brisket this weekend. I've posted most of this over on my Instagram so I'll keep it short and only include the good bits! 

IMG_20190629_114837_650.thumb.jpg.92604e69d9207ce1103c222aac62347a.jpg

I woke at 5am to prep the brisket and warm the smoker. By 6am, it was on my new Traeger which was running at 275°F and burning pecan pellets. 

About 7 hours later, it had an internal temp of 165°F and looked dark so I pulled it to wrap in butcher paper. 

It took a long time to cook and by 6pm I was pre-heating the oven as I was concerned about how many pellets were being used. This ended up helping a lot as it quickly reached and internal temp of 190°F (by around 8pm) and was fairly soft when I gave it a poke. 

After an hour of resting, I cut the flat and it was overcooked; not by much, but I had anticipated it due to the lack of fat running through it. The point was 'on point' though and turned out better than I thought! It was moist and juicy and the slices were pull-apart soft. 

Despite the decent result, I'll definitely change some things for next time:

1. More rub - the Traeger beef rub was nice but brisket can take more seasoning than I thought! 

2. Water pan - I stupidly forgot to use one... 

3. More smoke - the smokey flavour wasn't as strong as I wanted so I'll probably be ordering some hickory pellets for next time. 

IMG_20190629_114837_651.thumb.jpg.fe4751a13fc8c498f272240e5c02287b.jpg

Edited by ExclusiveBBQ
Adding YouTube video
  • Like 1

Good effort 👍

Couple of points, lack of smoky flavour. You said you was going to buy some Hickory Pellets. This is the problem with Pellet Smokers, they are very efficient at burning pellets. I will explain, the more efficient the burn (hot) the less smoke is generated.

Using Hickory Pellets will give you a different taste, but not necessarily deeper Smoke flavour.

By an A-maze-N A96B31AD-E736-4E37-9C52-D945DBBEAE28.thumb.jpeg.eeb05920a4ae96b7e3b50818f1a0a21e.jpeg

and burn the pellets in that, place on cooking rack furthest point form the Chimney.

Basic Rub, SPOG! Equal parts Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic Powder.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 10:08 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

Good effort 👍

Couple of points, lack of smoky flavour. You said you was going to buy some Hickory Pellets. This is the problem with Pellet Smokers, they are very efficient at burning pellets. I will explain, the more efficient the burn (hot) the less smoke is generated.

Using Hickory Pellets will give you a different taste, but not necessarily deeper Smoke flavour.

By an A-maze-N A96B31AD-E736-4E37-9C52-D945DBBEAE28.thumb.jpeg.eeb05920a4ae96b7e3b50818f1a0a21e.jpeg

and burn the pellets in that, place on cooking rack furthest point form the Chimney.

Basic Rub, SPOG! Equal parts Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder and Garlic Powder.

Thanks for the tip - I'm gonna have to check something like that out as I've now also seen people burn pellets in one of the tubes too to bring out more smoke flavour in the finished product.

Nice video – you clearly have a very good eye for production etc – it's nicely shot.

I'm going to try brisket for the first time next weekend – I looked on Meat and Cleaver's site, but a whole brisket wasn't on there – did you have to call them to ask for it specially?

I think I'll start it off on Sat evening, then get up early on Sunday and restoke the coals – I think it's going to need 12-16 hrs from what I've read on here (I have a ProQ Frontier Elite).

21 minutes ago, sub333 said:

Nice video – you clearly have a very good eye for production etc – it's nicely shot.

I'm going to try brisket for the first time next weekend – I looked on Meat and Cleaver's site, but a whole brisket wasn't on there – did you have to call them to ask for it specially?

I think I'll start it off on Sat evening, then get up early on Sunday and restoke the coals – I think it's going to need 12-16 hrs from what I've read on here (I have a ProQ Frontier Elite).

Thank you for the kind words!

I did have to call and ask but I initially wanted to to make sure that I was getting the proper 'packer' cut. As soon as I said that, they knew exactly what I wanted and sorted it out for a Thursday delivery (the brisket is a special order but they get it locally and I believe delivery to them is Wednesday so next day delivery = Thursday). 

I know it's not uncommon to get it part way through (about 165°F internal) and then throw a bunch of wood on the fire and then go to bed. The brisket will stand up to the burst of heat and it'll even out over the course of the night as the fire dies down but when you check in the morning it'll be ready to finish off. 

• Like 1

I emailed them yesterday and they replied the same evening! Going to get mine delivered on Friday, then will trim it and apply the rub Fri evening, then get it on the smoker late on Saturday evening. I won't be getting up at 3am on Sunday morning (alas), but if I use briquettes I'm confident the temp will be fine. Then will check early on Sunday, add a load more fuel if need be and hopefully will be cooked by 1pm, then after resting etc, serve at 5 (but I realise I could be several hours out!)

13 minutes ago, sub333 said:

I emailed them yesterday and they replied the same evening! Going to get mine delivered on Friday, then will trim it and apply the rub Fri evening, then get it on the smoker late on Saturday evening. I won't be getting up at 3am on Sunday morning (alas), but if I use briquettes I'm confident the temp will be fine. Then will check early on Sunday, add a load more fuel if need be and hopefully will be cooked by 1pm, then after resting etc, serve at 5 (but I realise I could be several hours out!)

Yeah they're really quite good - got a pork shoulder from them that I'm doing this weekend too. :)

I'm excited to see how it turns out on the ProQ Frontier Elite - especially as I almost pulled the trigger on one. I remember now that it was Aaron Franklin that suggested a quick top up with a decent amount of fuel right before you go to sleep although his advice was for an offset smoker. One thing I really wish I'd done now was handled a bit more before resting to get a feel for how 'jiggly' it was. On paper, your plan looks sound to me (plenty wiggle room if the cook goes on for longer than it should).

Remind me - did you cool the brisket for a while before putting in the coolbox?

Meat & Cleaver were great - the order fell just a couple of quid below the free delivery charge, but they waived it anyway 😀

It's a whopper – 7kg – and they offered to cut it down to 5kg, but I thought I'd try a beast first up, just to see how it goes (we'll be eating leftovers all next week, most likely…)

Can't wait to get started! 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 11:46 PM, ExclusiveBBQ said:

Hi all, 

As you might have seen from other topics I've posted, I had planned to do my first packer cut brisket this weekend. I've posted most of this over on my Instagram so I'll keep it short and only include the good bits! 

IMG_20190629_114837_650.thumb.jpg.92604e69d9207ce1103c222aac62347a.jpg

I woke at 5am to prep the brisket and warm the smoker. By 6am, it was on my new Traeger which was running at 275°F and burning pecan pellets. 

About 7 hours later, it had an internal temp of 165°F and looked dark so I pulled it to wrap in butcher paper. 

It took a long time to cook and by 6pm I was pre-heating the oven as I was concerned about how many pellets were being used. This ended up helping a lot as it quickly reached and internal temp of 190°F (by around 8pm) and was fairly soft when I gave it a poke. 

After an hour of resting, I cut the flat and it was overcooked; not by much, but I had anticipated it due to the lack of fat running through it. The point was 'on point' though and turned out better than I thought! It was moist and juicy and the slices were pull-apart soft. 

Despite the decent result, I'll definitely change some things for next time:

1. More rub - the Traeger beef rub was nice but brisket can take more seasoning than I thought! 

2. Water pan - I stupidly forgot to use one... 

3. More smoke - the smokey flavour wasn't as strong as I wanted so I'll probably be ordering some hickory pellets for next time. 

IMG_20190629_114837_651.thumb.jpg.fe4751a13fc8c498f272240e5c02287b.jpg

A couple of my thoughts, you did a great job by the way, as SM said a smoke generator of some sort will give more smoke I use a tube but take it easy at first, grass fed briskets I always wrap in double foil tightly with some beef broth, and at this point there is no point in using pellets so your oven is just the same, I also inject mine but not necessary

42 minutes ago, Mick said:

A couple of my thoughts, you did a great job by the way, as SM said a smoke generator of some sort will give more smoke I use a tube but take it easy at first, grass fed briskets I always wrap in double foil tightly with some beef broth, and at this point there is no point in using pellets so your oven is just the same, I also inject mine but not necessary

Thanks for the tips. Do you notice much difference with injecting?

43 minutes ago, sub333 said:

Hello, Mr Exclusive (don't know your name, sorry!) 

With your first brisket, did you let it cool before putting in the coolbox?

Haha, if we had signature's I'd be able to put it there - but my name's Chris 😁

To answer your question, I unwrapped it slightly to probe it in the flat and the point and then wrapped it back up and it went into the coolbox hot. You can definitely let it rest out in the open but the coolbox is supposed to give it the best chance of reabsorbing all of the juices whilst continuing to gently cook and render down fat.

12 minutes ago, Mick said:

I do but it's only a small difference 

Thanks for letting me know. I've got the equipment now so I wouldn't rule it out. But then I am also trying to go as authentic as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sub333 said:

Hello, Mr Exclusive (don't know your name, sorry!) 

With your first brisket, did you let it cool before putting in the coolbox?

Wrap in foil then place in coolbox and it will keep warm for a couple hours. gives flexibility to service

• Like 2

Cool.  You will probably find a lot of liquid in the cool box when you take the meat out. Use it make gravy or a sauce?  If you are coming to a tailgate you will see cool boxes used to keep the vaious meat cooks warm as they all come together.  It gives some useful flexibility.

Another question: 
After trimming, am going to inject it – how long should I leave it before applying the rub?

And what's the ideal time between applying the rub and getting it on the smoker?

Was planning to trim/inject/rub Friday night, then start smoking Sat evening (as I'm playing golf early on Sat, not back til early afternoon), give it 8hrs, then check early on Sunday and fire up the smoker again.

Apologies for the multitude of questions…

19 hours ago, sub333 said:

Another question: 
After trimming, am going to inject it – how long should I leave it before applying the rub?

And what's the ideal time between applying the rub and getting it on the smoker?

Was planning to trim/inject/rub Friday night, then start smoking Sat evening (as I'm playing golf early on Sat, not back til early afternoon), give it 8hrs, then check early on Sunday and fire up the smoker again.

Apologies for the multitude of questions…

I'll weigh in on the bits I'm familiar with. The majority of people will take their brisket from the fridge, season it and leave it to come up to room temperature before cooking. Leaving it to come to room temp. is the most important part here so as long as you're not injecting or rubbing with anything too crazy (I've been told pineapple juice breaks down the meat and so isn't advised as an injection) then you'll be fine.

I trimmed my brisket the night before and rubbed in the morning, however I've currently got a pork shoulder on the go that was trimmed, injected and rubbed the night before and was fine this morning. If I were in your situation, I'd try to trim it the night before and then inject and rub it around an hour before smoking it. I am trying to be authentic though :).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

The majority of people will take their brisket from the fridge, season it and leave it to come up to room temperature before cooking. Leaving it to come to room temp. is the most important part here

Is that right? Am sure I read on amazingribs.com that it's better to smoke meat straight from the fridge, as smoke particles stick to meat better, but I have no idea if that's true!

I always take steaks etc out of the fridge 30 mins before cooking. 

Just now, sub333 said:

Is that right? Am sure I read on amazingribs.com that it's better to smoke meat straight from the fridge, as smoke particles stick to meat better, but I have no idea if that's true!

I always take steaks etc out of the fridge 30 mins before cooking. 

That might be correct as spraying the meat is also supposed to help the smoke adhere better. It could be that the condensation from a cold piece of meat in a warm environment causes that same effect.

I'm also like you though; I'll always allow steaks to come to room temp. and have heard some well-known pitmasters do the same with their brisket. Although, they're also applying rub as soon as it's out of the fridge (to give the rub time to settle) so if you're seasoning the day before then straight from the fridge could be the way to go.

4 minutes ago, sub333 said:

Found the article:

https://amazingribs.com/technique-and-science/myths/let-meat-come-to-room-temp

(please delete if quoting from other forums not allowed)

Interesting stuff. Don't necessarily disagree as I need to try it for myself however I'm a huge Aaron Franklin fanboy and found the clip where he talks about it (albeit briefly).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

Interesting stuff. Don't necessarily disagree as I need to try it for myself however I'm a huge Aaron Franklin fanboy and found the clip where he talks about it (albeit briefly).

Will take a look later - am guessing he says to bring it to room temperature!
Yes, Aaron is the daddy, isn't he? Would love to visit his restaurant one day... there should be a WoodSmoke Forum trip arranged!