My first brisket cook!

ExclusiveBBQ

Just now, sub333 said:

Will take a look later - am guessing he says to bring it to room temperature!
Yes, Aaron is the daddy, isn't he? Would love to visit his restaurant one day... there should be a WoodSmoke Forum trip arranged!

Not quite, he just mentions that there's two schools of thought and that he believes in letting beef (brisket and steak) come to room temp. but everything else from the fridge. :)

Would love to go there too - turning 30 next year so might have to plan something special!

On 7/11/2019 at 1:59 PM, Justin said:

Wrap in foil then place in coolbox and it will keep warm for a couple hours. gives flexibility to service

While it is still hot, wrap it in foil and then some old towels before placing it in the cool box. It collagen will continue to break down during this period.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, sub333 said:

Another question: 
After trimming, am going to inject it – how long should I leave it before applying the rub?

And what's the ideal time between applying the rub and getting it on the smoker?

Was planning to trim/inject/rub Friday night, then start smoking Sat evening (as I'm playing golf early on Sat, not back til early afternoon), give it 8hrs, then check early on Sunday and fire up the smoker again.

Apologies for the multitude of questions…

Be careful if you are going to inject. Too much injected marinade can often turn it into a pastrami rather than a brisket and it can also end up giving an "ammonia" edge to the flavour. Personally I prefer just using a rub or just salt and pepper and then vac packing it overnight.

Your proposed timings will be fine but please take note of what I said above. A little injection goes a long way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

Not quite, he just mentions that there's two schools of thought and that he believes in letting beef (brisket and steak) come to room temp. but everything else from the fridge

Yep, makes perfect sense. Will do that. The brisket was delivered today. Nobody in the office believed me when I told them that it weighed 7kg, so I asked them to pick up the box 😂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Wade said:

Be careful if you are going to inject. Too much injected marinade can often turn it into a pastrami rather than a brisket and it can also end up giving an "ammonia" edge to the flavour. Personally I prefer just using a rub or just salt and pepper and then vac packing it overnight.

Your proposed timings will be fine but please take note of what I said above. A little injection goes a long way.

Thank you, Wade. You're right – as this is my first brisket, I'll strip it back and just do rub and see how it goes, then I have a benchmark.

I think I will just trim it tonight, then apply rub tomorrow afternoon.

Is there an optimal time for adding rub before smoking?

1 minute ago, Justin said:

Good luck with this. It reminds md if when I did my first. Rested for three hours in cool box as Wade advised and it was wonderful.

Cheers, Justin, will do. I'd prefer not to get it on the smoker and go to bed, but because this is a big'un and am sure will take 10-15 hours, would rather give it 8hrs overnight then see how things are on Sunday morning, rather than try and do it all in a day.

4 hours ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

Not quite, he just mentions that there's two schools of thought and that he believes in letting beef (brisket and steak) come to room temp. but everything else from the fridge. :)

Would love to go there too - turning 30 next year so might have to plan something special!

Roaaaaaddddtrrriippp I’m in 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sub333 said:

Yep, makes perfect sense. Will do that. The brisket was delivered today. Nobody in the office believed me when I told them that it weighed 7kg, so I asked them to pick up the box 😂

You doing it on your ProQ? Big piece of meat, interested to see how it all goes if so.

15 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

Definitely would look into it 

bbq food tour plus have a couple of good contacts over there from the fbook forums 

Ah, good to know. March/April would be good time, given the avg temp.

And so many places to see (other than Franklin!). 
Would be fascinating, on so many levels 😀