Cote de boeuf

sub333

Got a nice cote de boeuf that's had a rub on overnight.

Can't see much online, but am planning to cook it slow(ish) to 125˚F internal, then take off the top two layers of the Frontier and crisp it up on both sides on the grill right above the coals – does that sound like a plan?

I've seen some articles online that say you can cook it 'dirty' by placing the beef right on the coals, but that only works with lumpwood, and I'm using briquettes…

• Like 1

Nice, I did one of these last Easter with a side of salmon. Smoked until internal was 56.8C. rested for 10 mins or so then I reverse seared caveman style on briquettes. It worked rather well. The only thing is I didn't quite have all my briquettes hot enough as I was over eager and hungry. I do prefer the Cold Grate method as I found the steak a little ashy. But I would also say it's worth the experience trying it out the way you have originally planned. 

1 - Seasoned.jpg

2 - On WSM.jpg

3 - Resting.JPG

4 - Smoked to 56.8c.jpg

6 - Finished.jpg

Edited by hoogl
  • Like 3

Very happy with how it turned out! 

It was 145F internal after just 1hr - I should have checked it earlier, was hoping for 125-130, but let it rest then seared it right above the coals. 

I needn't have worried - was nice and pink inside and tasted delicious. I served it with Asian coleslaw and some spuds roasted in beef fat 😋

20190525_195436-01.jpeg

20190525_200223-01.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sub333 said:

Very happy with how it turned out! 

It was 145F internal after just 1hr - I should have checked it earlier, was hoping for 125-130, but let it rest then seared it right above the coals. 

I needn't have worried - was nice and pink inside and tasted delicious. I served it with Asian coleslaw and some spuds roasted in beef fat 😋

20190525_195436-01.jpeg

20190525_200223-01.jpeg

@sub333 looks great. I bet it tasted awesome. 

Do you have a Wireless thermometer or anything to track the progress whilst cooking? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hoogl said:

@sub333 looks great. I bet it tasted awesome. 

Do you have a Wireless thermometer or anything to track the progress whilst cooking? 

I have a Thermpro, but tbh, I checked it after 1hr and it was fine - should have checked it earlier, but it was OK. But normally I use two probes - one for the pit and another in the meat. 

• Like 1