Proq orderded.

Icefever

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

The Piggy Bank has taken another hit!

Just sold the motorbike, the insurance wanted over £440, add £91 tax, a tank of fuel and I was looking at £550 just to sit in the garage,  Sold that and ordered the ProQ yesterday with Rosemary blessing.

Ice.  m0114.gif

25 minutes ago, Wade said:

A great piece of kit. You will have hours of fun :thumb1:

I must admit I looked at a couple of makes,  reviews and videos,  and went for the frontier after talking to Sotv as he's had one for 3 years or so.

I'm now planning my first cook on it,  looking at a tri-tip.

Ice.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

I am sure you already know but I would definitely give it a "seasoning" charcoal basket burn first.

My thoughts also....do a burn and have a play with the vents to get a "feel" for it....watch the temp via the Inkbird.  The Brinkman only has the one big vent that I fitted,  the Proq has 3 on the firebox?? Any hints & tips for what arrangement you have for the vents would give me a head start??

Ice.

I personally have 2 vents closed and 1 facing the wind opened/closed to a screwdiver width during the cookand find that keeps it a stable to 225F for me. Occasionally give the lid handle a shake to drop the ash in the basket and slightly crack another vent open if only a short cook time left/needed rather than put more coals on.

Works for me, but I am sure you will find out your own preference as you do a few cooks. If doing the seasoning burn you should be able to mess about with the vents to gauge if or how they are affecting the temp before you do your first cook.

I use lumpwood mainly and pour a chimney starter of lit coals over the unlit coals and chunks of wood being used. It goes up to anything between 240-270F initially I find with lumpwood with  one vent full open or 2 half open that I start it with. When it has peaked at it's highest temperature and starting to drop. I then take the lid off put in the meat and probes, top up the water if necessary and by the time I put it all back together and close the one vent and leave the other one open to the screwdriver width. It is usually is then near or just above 225F and tends to stay there then and the wood is close to or has just started to smoke. I found it is easier and quicker to get a stable 225F this way,. If it is still climbing though after adding the meat etc? I close all vents till the temp drops to around 210F and then open the vent again to the screwdriver width to get it back up to 225F

I am getting a smartfire once they come in stock. So will probably have to change my technique and style of getting it to 225F it anyway.

I am sure others do it a different way and you will find your own way. But doing a seasoning burn will give you a chance to mess about with it first.and once the ProQ stabilises at 225F it is pretty good at maintaining that temp for the length of the charcoal burn in the basket. If you use beads/briquettes or minion method that will probably need a totally different way to what I do though. 

Edit I didn't do it personally, but have read since. Some people use fragrant herbs like Lemongrass, Sage, or Rosemary etc or a bottle of dark beer to help with the initial seasoning in the water pan

Edited by sotv

Cheers mate...I started 4 years back with charcoal, then last year went over to briquettes, tried coco fibre, (didn't get on with them at all).

Ordered heat beads back a few months and have used them for 5 or 6 cooks now, still not made up my mind, used them yesterday I had to throw in a small amount of lump to get the heat up a smidgin.

When we were at Booker last Thur I noticed they have 12kg bags of restaurant lump for I think it was £11?? we're off again this week so will grab a couple to see what it's like.

Ice.

Sat here this morning waiting for the guy who is supposed to be buying my bike,  🤞  I got to wondering when the ProQ will turn up??? will it be in time for the bank holls???

Decided to give Hotsmoked a call just to settle my mind,  the lady on the other end said that they had dispatched their last Frontier yesterday and are now out of stock.....t2107.gif,  but there was good news they are waiting on a delivery if not today, tomorrow.

She assured me that my order will be with me for the holls....t2776.gif

Ice.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, sotv said:

Fingers crossed you get it in the next few days. One plus point, at least you know it will be brand new stock and not something that may have been sitting in the warehouse for a while.

Never thought that, :thumb1:  but your spot on..

Ice.

2 hours ago, sotv said:

Fingers crossed you get it in the next few days. One plus point, at least you know it will be brand new stock and not something that may have been sitting in the warehouse for a while.

Either that or it is taking them time to scrape the mold off the old boxes before they ship them !

1 hour ago, Phlashster said:

Which should also mean you get all the upgrades for this year. 😀

That was the deciding factor for me,  https://hotsmoked.co.uk/food-smokers/new-proq-frontier-elite-2018.html

They say it is the New 2018 with all the extras.....will have to wait and see?? How long have you had yours??

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

2 hours ago, Icefever said:

That was the deciding factor for me,  https://hotsmoked.co.uk/food-smokers/new-proq-frontier-elite-2018.html

They say it is the New 2018 with all the extras.....will have to wait and see?? How long have you had yours??

Ice.

I ordered my Frontier Elite from Hotsmoked a few weeks ago.

It was the new one with the cool-touch handles etc

Hotsmoked were really good - my order said 'dispatched' for days but didn't update, so I called them and they were great. I was keen to get it before May bank holiday, and the woman I spoke to said there'd been a delay from the supplier, and assured me that if it didn't turn up, she'd personally drive to the warehouse and sort it. Excellent customer service.

I ordered the smoking kit, which comes with the ProQ CSG and some dust/chips.

• Like 2

@sub333 I had the very same reply when I rang from maybe the same lady?? I wish now I'd pay the extra £7 for next day delivery. 

It's good to know that they are shipping the latest models, must admit I was hoping to fire her up over this weekend, can't see that happening at the moment.

I was going to christen  her with a Tri-tip,  may have to use the Brinkman after all..m1516.gif

Ice.

7 hours ago, Icefever said:

@sub333 I had the very same reply when I rang from maybe the same lady?? I wish now I'd pay the extra £7 for next day delivery. 

It's good to know that they are shipping the latest models, must admit I was hoping to fire her up over this weekend, can't see that happening at the moment.

I was going to christen  her with a Tri-tip,  may have to use the Brinkman after all..m1516.gif

I said exactly the same thing to her - it took 7 days to arrive, not the 3-5 they promised.

But it wasn't their fault - they were let down by the company that supplies the smokers who basically bullshitted them that it was on its way.

They did everything they could to fix it, and my smoker arrived on the Saturday, at lunchtime, so I fired it up to season it, then cooked on it a day or two later 😀

Hope your one turns up soon.

Edited by sub333

6 hours ago, Icefever said:

Just checked my emails and I have one from DHL saying it for delivery tomorrow...m0126.gif

Ice.

Yay! Enjoy.

Am smoking chicken on Saturday, then a côte de boeuf on Sunday. I said to my wife that we could do short ribs at the same time, only to be told that that was ridiculous and that we're not Desperate Dan… 😂

• Haha 1

Well, it turned up 1  hour before we had to leave to travel to the "Brew & Q",  so I had just enough time to de-box it and it's now sat in the corner of the living room.

I must admit this is the first time I've seen one in the skin, and brother it's a brilliant bit of kit. I can't wait till Monday to start using it.

One problem, not a big one, the wife has seen the "Flip'n'grate"  now as we do a reasonable amount of fish she says it would be ideal for us??? just hope they have them for sale at the show??

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 3