Levels of smoke

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so following on from this. My OH doesn't like the taste I get on my UDS but loves smoked cheese fish etc. I will admit it's a very different flavour on the UDS but I don't use any wood for smoke just straight charcoal. Would it be because the charcoal merely smoulders that I'm getting this strange taste? I used the same charcoal to grill on my masonry BBQ and no hint of this flavour.

• Confused 1

What are you putting on Chinks or Chips of wood . Did you presoak if Chips? Also different woods different intensities of flavour.

For instance the below

Beef Pork Chicken Fish Comments
Alder X X - XX Delicate flavor
Apple XX XX XX XX Mild, fruity, goes with any meat
Cherry XX XX XX XX Mild, fruity, goes with any meat
Hickory X X X X Can be strong, mix with apple/oak
Maple X X X - Great with pork
Oak XX X X X Mild, nutty, great with beef and pork
Pecan X X X - Sweet, spicy, more assertive than oak
Edited by Justin
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Diggerg said:

don't use any wood for smoke just straight charcoal. Would it be because the charcoal merely smoulders that I'm getting this strange taste? 

You need to make sure the charcoal is properly lit, red hot, and use wood for the smoke, sorry if this sounds a bit egg sucky but it's difficult to know what you mean. You can't smoke without adding wood chips, it's just slowly drying meat out with hot air otherwise?

Did you run a really hot burn through it for a few hours as well to get rid of any residual odours before cooking? I just looked at your build thread, it looks awesome but I'd stick a whole bag of charcoal through it as hot as it will go before cooking on it. It might take half a tree just to get it to temp though with all that 6mm plate lol. I'm an engineer by trade, done a bit of metal sticking but NOT a welder. Your UDS should be the king of long slow cooks because although it might take 3 hours to get it to temp, it'll probably just sit there glowing for a week after it goes out 😂😂😂

Edited by HeyBertHeyErnie
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, HeyBertHeyErnie said:

You need to make sure the charcoal is properly lit, red hot, and use wood for the smoke, sorry if this sounds a bit egg sucky but it's difficult to know what you mean. You can't smoke without adding wood chips, it's just slowly drying meat out with hot air otherwise?

Did you run a really hot burn through it for a few hours as well to get rid of any residual odours before cooking? I just looked at your build thread, it looks awesome but I'd stick a whole bag of charcoal through it as hot as it will go before cooking on it. It might take half a tree just to get it to temp though with all that 6mm plate lol. I'm an engineer by trade, done a bit of metal sticking but NOT a welder. Your UDS should be the king of long slow cooks because although it might take 3 hours to get it to temp, it'll probably just sit there glowing for a week after it goes out 😂😂😂

I have a standard UDS that I use at the moment while building my gravity feed.