Meater / Meater+

Glenn

I have never used one but I have a Meater+ on order to try it out. My preferred thermometer at the moment is the "Smoke" from ETI/Thermodata but others who have used and reviewed the Meater seem to like it. I should know next week and I hope to be using it on my last BBQ course of the year next weekend.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I used it for the first time a couple of weekends ago with a whole chicken on on my last BBQ course of the year. It worked very well. As it was my first experience with it I used it in conjunction with my Smoke thermometer - and the reading were very similar. It can only be used with a phone app and so the range is limited however as I went in and out of range the app caught up seamlessly. There is an option to have the app work over WiFi however you still need a Bluetooth device locally that will act as a bridge. This can be either a phone or it is built in to the 4 probe "Meater Block".

The app is easy to use and it gives you alerts when the meat is approaching its cooked temperature. It also gives a lovely temperature graph over the duration of each cook showing both the chamber and meat temperatures. A downside is that the graph/data cannot be exported from the app for use elsewhere. I contacted Meater about this and they informed me that they are considering adding it as a feature in a future release. Another minor consideration is that the probe has to be inserted into the meat at least an inch or so to avoid causing damage to the probe - there is a line scribed onto the probe showing the required level. This is fine for most meats but if you are cooking thin meats then this may be a problem.

Would it be worth buying? Yes I think so. But for the price of the Meater+ I think that the ETI/Thermadata Smoke may be worthy alternative to consider.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 10:31 AM, Justin said:

It has arrived but was snaffled and wrapped int gaudy Christmas paper.  Going under the tree. 

On 11/23/2018 at 11:45 PM, Glenn said:

Mine arrived and suffered the same fate :(

On 11/24/2018 at 10:11 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

Mine has suffered the same fate as well 🙁

Only 30 days to go and counting 😀