Meater / Meater+

Glenn

Just a comment on the use of the Meater, The probe has two temperature sensors - one at each end - and the meat sensor will be damaged if it is exposed to the smoke chamber temperatures. This means that you cannot just place the probe in the smoker to see it reach temperature before you put in the meat.

There is a line on the probe showing how far it needs to be inserted into the meat

1495237480_MeaterInsertLine.thumb.jpg.1b31bc4aaca1f5f2bfcd2c2e6e014213.jpg

So, if you want to use it to monitor the chamber temperature before the meat goes in, simply push it into a potato with a flattened end and place this in the smoker.

1652620385_MeaterinPotato.thumb.jpg.dc327b498f999b69c05499ba37fd6d01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

For interest Tappecue have just launched wireless probes for the Touch I think they are called airprobes. Used with the Touch I beleive you have the best of both worlds with wireless and wired probe options. As the airprobes are only communicating with the Touch locally then you smartphone is talking to the Touch over the internet there is no issue with range if you are out walking the dog whilst cooking etc. 

Macsbbq sell some of the Tappecue range so may be able to shed light on availability in the UK rather than have to import. 

I'm looking to replace my Tappecue 2 with a Touch later in the year so may well look at adding the airprobes as sell

Depends if SWMBO will allow

Cheers n Gone Nick

• 4 months later...

So, I'm now gathering quite a collection of probes, fans etc. In the recent Prime day extravaganza I picked up a Meater+ for £74 quid or so. Whilst I haven't shown it any heat yet, I've set it up indoors & in principal seems good & well made. I used a spare phone as a bridge from Bluetooth to Wifi & then checked I could access the cook online via my cloud account on another device using mobile data which was very simple on a android device. The instructions & video make mention of having to enable the Meater+ Link in the app but this seems to be an automated process in the android app at least. 

I'm hoping this is the long term solution for me as I'm fed up with forking out on cable probes at £25 a throw only for them to fail by supposed overheating. 

WP_20201016_001_LI.thumb.jpg.5f9d1721267dcec527c592bff33bd958.jpg

All i need to do now is find a way to do away with the probe for the fans.

Cheers n Gone Nick 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I’ve been looking at the + for a while now, partly because all of the extra cables on my ThermoPro just get in the way (or I thread them through the top vent, but then there’s not much slack when lifting the lid). I saw it for £75 on the Amazon Prime Day a while back so I’m expecting the price to drop again for Black Friday. One worth watching out for anyway. My question is, what’s the range like when it’s in an enclosed metal smoker? Does that cause issues or would you need to bridge it nearby which kind of defeats the object of the WiFi in the first place? Thanks, Ross.

These are a really good bit of kit.

If you are looking to order, try this link BBQ Talks they have a partner offer of 15% Off!

I can use one in a Dutch Oven which is thick metal and can receive a signal in the house 20 meters away.

One trick you can do is use the receiver base as the bridge. Place the base halfway between the probe and your receiver (Phone) this helps with the signal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 7:13 PM, rawce said:

£81.75 for the + on Amazon Black Friday. Meater themselves may drop it further on actual Friday, who knows?

They have direct from Meater you can get the Meater+ Brown Sugar limited edition Single for £72.32 and the 4 pack Block for £189 with the code FILLET 

The code works on all products as well, but these seem by the far the best value

• 5 months later...

Anyone thinking of buying one of these get 10% using the code "TMOFOODS". I always look for vouchers before I buy anything, this one worked for me for the Meater Block about 4 hours ago. Paid £251.10. I realise it isn't in stock yet, but I can wait a couple of weeks

Edited by RedKen
wrong voucher code/link
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Meater have recently released an improved probe. The Meater2 Plus. This addresses some of the short coming of the original product, now cope with much higher temperatures, is full waterproof etc.

More on it here
https://store-uk.meater.com/products/meater-2-plus

I wonder if you cn=an just buy the probes to upgrade original purchases?

Cheers n Gone Nick