Overcooking Sous Vide

Brinkman

So lets test to see if the the new SV bath works was my first thought, but lets not try it on anything that matters or was an expensive food item was my second. So I went for eggs, there cheap, no pun intended, there easy? Well they are cheap, and they may be easy, but not for yours truly apparently! I correctly set the temp I required for the type of poached egg I was looking for but Incorrectly set the timer on/off function due to being an idiot and misunderstanding the written guides instructions! So, can you cook eggs in a SV? Yes you can. Can you overcook them despite setting the correct temp? Hell yes! Were they poached? Hell No! But they are ideal for an 'egg salad' or for decoration on top of a Chicken Royal Biriyani which is what I used them for so not a total loss.?

Royal-Biriyani.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Icefever said:

Well, that does look good from where I'm sat matey,  we would be happy to sit down and eat it. You'll get it next time I'm sure...  m0934.gif

Where are you, currently! I can't believe there isn't an Indian somewhere nearby? She who must be obeyed refuses to touch a curry that I haven't made! I like to think its a compliment but hey, she just might be sweet talking me into cooking something other than BBQ?

• Haha 1

On 9/8/2018 at 5:56 PM, Brinkman said:

Where are you, currently! I can't believe there isn't an Indian somewhere nearby? She who must be obeyed refuses to touch a curry that I haven't made! I like to think its a compliment but hey, she just might be sweet talking me into cooking something other than BBQ?

My wife’s the same ! Apart from one particular curry house . It helps my maternal grandfather was Indian . So I’m not bad at curry 

35 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

So I’m not bad at curry 

I was lucky enough to spend a week being taught how to cook Indian food at an Indian restaurant by an Indian in London. Most people are unaware that there is even a difference between each country! People know some of the dishes from some of the regions but thats about it and as for the difference between Northern Pakistan, Bangladesh and India! To most people the expression lets have an 'Indian' encompasses the entire continent, which is a great shame as each has a great deal to offer.

2 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

My grandad was northern India but his family moved to Guyana ?? South America . My gran is Portuguese and South American . So I had an interesting mix of Indian and Caribbean food . Hey smoked some plantain the other day was lovely. 

Made roti and phoularie. 

Paneer and chicken curry 

C9C0B58B-70A5-4E3F-9EDD-0026D8D16022.jpeg

A2B3E7DB-18DB-43C2-B60C-78C898475168.jpeg

1E8EF315-19FD-45BF-9773-E5119331641C.jpeg

Looking and sounding good. I'm partial to anything from Rajasthan and the Punjab but also enjoy Biriyani from the Pakistani/Afghan border. Not done anything on the curry front for a week or more and to be honest in my area you either have to cook it yourself or go without as the food served locally is, at best, mediocre and at worst utter crap! Most cooks, locally, are either Bengali or Goan, don't get me wrong I'm very partial to a fish curry but its not popular in this local, most people eat chicken or lamb dishes and wouldn't consider a goat dish because its out of their normal range! Don't even get me started on Cantonese! Been this end of the country for very nearly 27yrs and still not found a halfway decent restaurant for any type for Chinese!! Did have some real good Afro Caribbean curried goat on the outskirts of Birmingham but don't go that way very often.

8 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

pork shoulder 1.5 kgs been in water bath since 5pm

How are you getting on with the Wanacle? You did go for that one didn't you? Has it been consistent, temperature wise, so far? I'm awaiting delivery of mine this week, hope its a bloody sight better than the last thing! I accept that they may have received a bad batch from the manufacturer but potential food poisoning is not a good advert for a product! I'll test it with some poached eggs and if it cooks them well I'll move straight on to a spatchcock chicken and some root veg. It seems that 85c+ area is where they all seem to struggle maintaining the set temperature! Anyway I'm sure the Wanacle will be better than the two AJ baths I tried.

22 minutes ago, Raptor72 said:

Really good at keeping temp . I just need to get a thicker vessel I think 

Have you thought about wrapping the vessel with a tea towel an then with bubble wrap? Or standing it in a polystyrene box or even a cool box to retain heat? After all, they pour boiling water directly into polystyrene cups and I've never seen one melt!

10 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

Well I’m hoping I don’t over cook this pork shoulder 1.5 kgs been in water bath since 5pm at 165 f 

turned it to 158 f . Noticed the top part looks white and cooked . Internal temp of 68 c 

Are you going for medium on that Pork shoulder? I would have thought 1.5kgs maybe 145f ish for 69hrs but if you were going for braised then 167f ish for 10 hours or so!

Personally lamb and pork I am not sure great for sous vide on its own. It misses that roast flavour. Beef and skillet is great and chicken curry or chicken salad style is great. That is where I am at the no. I am pushing it further every time and some things brilliant. Some things no. Like beef heart I did at northern tailgate. Nice and juicy. Pink in middle. On relevtion a bit of seasoning and char on grill would have been decent but I did antichuros marinade which was disaster. Just tasted like cider vinegar....live and learn. We had a lot of fun with it anyway. Dirty hearts and laughter.

• Like 1